1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can`t Make Payments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by davfra, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davfra

davfra Thread Starter

I frequently make purchases on line and make other payments. Now, whenever I apply to go to a checkout on a web page, I get a message saying that page is unavailable.
    This happens whenever a payment is about to be made. As far as I can recall, I haven`t made any changes that could cause this.
    My cookies level in Internet options is set low.
    I have an account with an online bookmaker and I can`t log in.
    At one time I was getting a small no entry sign on the bottom of the web page, but this seems to have stopped now.
    I am running Windows XP with a Pentium 4 on a reasonably modern set up.
    I would be grateful if anybody could help.
    Cheers,
    David

2. southernlady

southernlady

Did you happen to download and install SP2 by chance? Liz

3. davfra

davfra Thread Starter

Hi - No, I didn`t. I figure I have enough problems at the moment :D
    David

4. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Maybe the wife did something to the computer to stop you spending all the money on subscriptions to Felicia's World O' Butts :D .Wait!...don't hit me I'm a bleeder! Seriously though, those webpages you speak of are dependant on SSL encryption to work. As I write this I know it's a long shot but just check your internet explorer "security" options and ensure SSL 2&3 are checked. Also delete all temporary internet files and cookies. Also, "I haven't made any changes" makes me a bit nervous. Especially when you say you do alot of online purchasing. Do an up to date virus scan. If all checks out o.k. another place to check in TSG is the "Security" forum.

5. davfra

davfra Thread Starter

My wife is just coming to terms with the telephone and video. She doesn`t know how to program them - she knows when that thing on the wall goes `ring, ring`it has to be picked up and then you can speak to someone. The video recorder - well she knows how to watch it but calls me for anything complicated - liking switching it on or off.
    I did get her to play Scrabble on the pc once, but when she lost she said it had cheated because it new what tiles she had. It had to, she reasoned cos it had given them to her.
    In short, she`s innocent.
    I checked the security points you mentioned and they were ok.
    I`m stuck now. Don`t know what to try next.
    Cheers,
    David

6. nanino

nanino

davfra,(my compliments for the amusing description of your wife tech skills) if you have a software firewall try to briefly connect to your bookie while the firewall is put to rest,this might be resolutive in finding the culprit.
    Two years ago i suddenly couldnt watch on line streaming on account of a firewall whimsically blocking it, and,but i hope its not your case, a year ago i had problems connecting to similar sites because my provider was in the course of doubling up speed and for about two months i experienced difficulties or no connection at all with certain foreign sites.Then,when i was just one hour to making a new contract with a cable provider it began working well without me doing anything and still does.

7. TOGG

TOGG

There is one very faint possibility and that is that something has messed with with IE's cipher strength (some Windows patches or Symantec/Norton changes for example?).

Open IE, click on 'Help/About IE' and check that cipher strength is 128bit.

8. davfra

davfra Thread Starter

I checked those points and I`m afraid I couldn`t find anything out of place.
    Cheers,
    David

9. TOGG

TOGG

Have you thought about 'the nuclear option' namely, to try another browser?

Have a look at Mozilla Firefox or Opera. They're both free (unless you want to lose the advert in Opera) and quite small downloads (if you can't find them on a magazine coverdisk).

Also, if you don't like an alternative browser (or it doesn't cure your problem) you can at least uninstall it, unlike IE.

10. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Open Internet Explorer, go to tools, internet options, click on Delete cookies and try the site again.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice