1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can the graphics card of this system be updated?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Godfree, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Hey guys, I've got a somewhat older Dell Dimension 4800, with Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (integrated card) and I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the graphics card or if I'm stuck with what I've got because it's an integrated card? I know for laptops if you've got integrated you're basically screwed, which is the case with my ATI Raden X1200, but is it possible to update desktops? Thanks!

2. karnak

karnak

I believe the Dell 4800 uses agp 8X graphics. If you have an agp socket ( its a little longer than a pci socket and sets back a little further and is usually colored black), then you can upgrade the video. Only drawback is agp is a dying breed and I wouldn't spend a lot of money on an expensive card for it. And depending on the card you get, your psu may not have enough power to run it. That Dell only has a 250 watt psu I think. If you do decide to upgrade you might want to disable the onboard video. Sometime you can get conflicts between them.

3. Jordster

Jordster

The answer is yes, you can update the graphics on your machine. However, there are a few drawback and will set you back a bit of money.

Note: Im going with karnak's word here.

Just a question: What are you intending to do with the graphics? Gaming? Media? Work? This can decide whether a decent card is needed or any card to provide good quality media or games.
    Anyway, as karnak said, AGP is dying, as the new computers are containing the new PCI and PCI-E socket. And because AGP cards are almost, if not, considered rare these days, they are expensive. You'd be very lucky to have a PCI-E slot. In this case, you could pick up a nVidia 8400 for about 30-50 dollars, and it is a powerful card too.
    But your Power Supply is a problem. If it is the stock PSU, then chances are you are going to have to upgrade power supply. For Nvidia cards in the 8xxx or over, or Radeon X16xx series or higher, you are going to have to buy a new power supply, and you would be looking at about 500W, just to be safe.

4. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Well, I was hoping to upgrade the computer to allow it to be used for gaming (most World of Warcraft so the graphics really don't need to be super-amazing). Right now it runs the game but I'm lucky if I get above 8fps. My current laptop has a radeon x1200 on it and while it's not great for graphics it lets me play the game, and that's more or less what I'm looking for.

Everything on the PC is stock right now, I haven't touched anything on it, however seeing as ram is so cheap for desktops and gfx cards are reasonable I was thinking I could upgrade it and have it be a second gaming PC.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No such creature as a Dimension 4800, recheck that and post back please.

4600??? most likely 4700?? Newer model.

Specs for the 4600 with integrated graphics, yes it has an 8x AGP slot
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251

4700 has a PCI Express x16 slot
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/specs.htm#wp1043338

I agree with Jordster, The biggest consideration is to be sure you have a large enough PSU to support whatever card you decide to go with, FYI, Dell PSU's are underrated by about 30-50 watts, The stock PSU on a D4600 (assuming this is your model) is 250 watts, so figure its good for at least 280 max. This won't support much of a 8x graphics card, check the power requirements of the card you choose for the upgrade.

6. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Yessir, 4600, the font they use is horrible looks like the hook on the 6 connects...

So considering this information what kind of a card could I expect to find? Anything decent that's relatively cost effective? Can't be a whole hell of alot worse than the integrated graphics.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Oh heck yes any 8x agp card is a big improvement. Just look for one with 128-256mb of onboard memory

Not sure of your location, but I find good deals on AGP video cards at my local Fry's, free after rebate from time to time.

There are 2 main brands of video "chips" used on many different brands of cards,

stick with either Nvidia, or ATI chips. I have been having good luck with lower end ATI cards the last few years.

8. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

10. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Hmm the GeForce 5200 seems a bit underpowered according to http://www.gpureview.com

How about this card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131136

It's an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT for around $61? The specs looks pretty impressive and according to some benchmarks it can get around 60fps playing FEAR which sounds pretty good to me. My only concern is I can't find the power requirements for this thing anywhere. By the way what's the downfall of not having enough power? For example if it required 300 watts and my PSU was 280 like you're assuming it's close to?

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Anything from poor graphics to damaging the PSU, card, or motherboard.

Only you can decide what card is best for your needs.

Here is a good quality PSU upgrade guaranteed to fit your Dell
    http://www.power-on.com/ea460u.html

12. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice