Can these be removed from the W98SE Desktop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gary R

I don't use these:
:
"Online Services" Folder
:
"Setup msn Internet Access" (The one with msn printed in white against a red background)
:
"My Briefcase".
:
Can they be removed safely from the Desktop (I'm using W98SE Version 4.10.2222A)?
------------
Any shortcut with an arrow (such as "Connect To The internet", "MSN Money", "FoneSync") can be removed without causing problems with a program since they're also listed in the "Programs" tab can't it?

Sure, you can add them back later if you need them. My Briefcase may have to be uninstalled using Add/Remove Problems or Tweak UI.

To answer your last question, yes youcan remove a shortcut safely.

If I remember correctly, you need to remove the MSN icon through the registry or iti will recreate itself on boot.
Before you do this make a backup of the registry in case you delete the wrong key. Go to Start>run and type this then press enter
regedit /e reg.reg

This will place a copy of the registry on the desktop. If you remove the wrong icon, double click on this file named reg.reg to go back to where you were before you started.

Go to Start>run and type regedit. press enter
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

Under Namespace you will see several Subkeys (yellow folders)

Click on them one at a time. Look in the right pane to see what each represents. When you find the folder for MSN right click on it and choose delete.
Close the registry.

Just try deleting the MSN or dragging it to the recycle bin. I just deleted mine in Win98SE and it never came back. You can also remove briefcase from the desktop but it takes the briefcase with it. If you decide you need briefcase later you can reinstall it from Add/remove programs and the Windows CD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online