1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can This Be Done--Wired and Wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dnoack, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnoack

dnoack Thread Starter

Hi,

Just curious as to whether this can be done. Here goes:

I have a wired network with an SMB four port router and a Linksys WAP. I run W2k Advanced server with DHCP and the two computers on the network get their IP address from the wired network. I use the WAP for my wireless laptop.

However, I also have three other computers in another room that I would like to network, but have no wire access.

I can install a wireless PCI card in one of those computers and then possibly share that one connection with the other computers, maybe by putting a wired, second nic card in that first computer. Is there a way to multihome this setup? Can the wireless card get an IP via DHCP from the WAP and the wired NIC card can be used to create the rest of the wired network, giving each computer a static IP address?

In essence, I am trying to get a wired network to connect via a WAP and wireless NIC to create a wired network where none exists?

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

David

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd setup the wireless link with static IP addresses, I think you'll have better luck. The easiest way to do this is with something like the the DWL-900AP+ WAP, it will allow the two segments to be connected, and you can use a small switch/hub for the second segment. If you use a wireless NIC in the machine, you'd get into bridging to a wired NIC in the machine, etc., kinda' sloppy. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice