1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can This Be Done?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by buf, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

My sig pretty well shows what I have networked at home. My computer is dual booted with Win98SE and WinXP Pro. I have Win XP setup to use the networked printer without a problem. I can't seem to setup networking with the same printer in Win98SE. It occurs to me that this can't be done while dual booting; but I ask you, can it be done? As usual, TIA
    BTW, the printer is an HP DeskJet 722C Series; if it matters.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You may have some driver issues (as far as formatting and the differences between Windows 98 drivers and windows XP) but it can theoretically be done. As long as your 2 dual boot PC's have the printer shared with the same share name and you have print sharing enabled and you have the same machine name if your running in a workgroup an both have the same workgroup name. Really it should work.

3. pinntech

pinntech

Hello,

Yes, it can be done. The first question I have is.. How is your dual boot setup? Separate partitions or not? If not separate partitions, what are the names of their windows directories?

To the network printer.. Do you mean that the printer is actually hooked to an external print server? Or is it shared as a network printer, but directly attached to the system or a second system?

If you have an external printer server, which one?

Okay, that is it for now.

Shane

4. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies but I get to a point while installing the network printer in the printer wizard when I get the message:
    "network printer offline" and am stopped there. The printer is not offline. Her PC and printer are turned on and performing well and I haven't any trouble printing to it when I am in WinXP. And for info purposes, each of my OS's are installed on different partitions on the same hard drive, of course.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice