1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jkozey, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkozey

jkozey Thread Starter

I work from home. Generally, I utilize my personal laptop to do my work. I have two clients that want me to utilize thier laptops instead of my personal laptop. I attempted to migrate their VPN connection protocols to my personal laptop, but alas, this does not work. I am now stuck with having to work over three separate laptops. I know some stuff about KVM, but for purposes I will not go into here, this is not a viable option at this time.

I would like to be able to use only my personal laptop. I have assigned a static IP adress to this machine of 192.168.1.100.

I would like to be able to access the two client laptops using RDP sessions. Client laptop 1 has been assigned a static IP address of 192.168.1.101 and client laptop 2 is the same with IP address of 192.168.1.102.

I can connect to the client laptops from my personal laptop just fine by initiating RDP with the IP addresses of the client machines.

The problem is that I have to RDP into the client laptop and then initiate a VPN connection on the client machine. Once the VPN connection is established on the client machine, I lose connectivity to the client machine via the RDP session.

Does anybody out there know how to get around the issue of losing the RDP session when I conect to a VPN session on the client ("remote") machine?

My personal laptop is Win7 up to date with all updates and the two client machines are both Win XP SP 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't give you a definitive answer, but I will offer my thoughts.

Probably not possible because, as you know, the P in VPN is for Private. A VPN is a pipe between a host and client and is designed to prevent any traffic "leaking" out to someplace else, which would include anything on the LAN. The only way it might work is if different NICs are used for the Remote Desktop and the VPN.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most VPN clients restrict other network traffic. If the VPN server configuration allows split tunneling it would work, but most don't for the obvious security reasons.

One way to use a VPN in this environment is by use of virtual machines running a separate copy of Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice