1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can TO Many USB Devices make a computer restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phil23, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phil23

phil23 Thread Starter

These may seem like a weird question but here it goes:

I was wondering if to many USB devices can take away from the Power Supply of a Computer, thus making it restart.

Here is my issue:

I am running Windows XP SP2 with a standard Power Supply installed. I have the following USB devices hooked up

Scanner
    Wacom Tablet
    Hercules Game Theater XP
    Mouse

Ever since I installed the Wacom Tablet, my computer has been restarting at random. I have had this problem before when I had my a MIDI USB Keyboard
    hooked up. At that time, I reverted XP back to a time before the keyboard was hooked up and it worked fine. This was without the Keybord or the Wacom Tablet installed

I have no Virus
    My memory is fine

I have auto restart turned off in XP and it still restarts.

Any clues why it may be restarting, could it be a power supply issue? Is the Power Supply not strong enough to handle the USB devices?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Phil

2. winbob

winbob

More likely it is the USB Bus itself that would be having a problem supplying the power.

There is going to be a power limit to any USB Bus and it is NOT the Power Supply's Limit!

Check the specs of your MOBO (USB) and then see what are the Power demands of each of the connected devices.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Each USB device can draw a maximum of 1/2 amp at +5V, or a monster 2.5 watts. You'd have to have a roomful of USB devices to cause a problem with the power...

4. winbob

winbob

5. JohnWill

I've tested the limits on a number of occasions, and it really does limit to 1/2 an amp. :)

6. phil23

phil23 Thread Starter

Well my problem was that after I hooked up my USB (keyboard or tablet) My computer start to restart, as if it had a virus, which it doesn't, so i thought it might be because of the multiple USB devices.

SO I checked the event log last night and found this error

device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block

Now I did some research on this, and I guess it is a horrible error to get. I tried to scan the disk and left it on overnight and it never finished, the restarted. Should I invest in a new HD? Do you think it is the HD? It is hard to try and fix it, because it keeps restarting.

any help at this point would be appreciated.

thanks

phil

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Try running the scandisk from safe mode. That should stop the restarts. You should also download the harddrive diagnostics form the hard drive manufacturers web site. If the manufacturer diagnostics fail then its probably time for a new hard drive.

8. JohnWill

First, BACKUP! Don't be screwing around with the HD until you have your data safely stored away!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice