1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can tower be used vertically and horizontally?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alos, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alos

Alos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Allen
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8072 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (433 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0J3C2F
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Three days ago (is that all? Seems like weeks now) I bought my very first desktop computer (refurbished). It's a Dell Optiplex 790. I notice four little feet on one side of the tower and four little feet on another side. It looks at though the tower could be placed on its side using those feet, or stood up vertically on those other feet. Does it matter if the tower lies on its side or is stood up vertically?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is yours a "minitower" or "desktop" or "small form factor" or "ultra small form factor" model?
    The largest of the 4 models(minitower) should remain vertical.
    The other 3 models can be used vertically or horizontally.
    I'm guessing you have the "desktop" model.

If you do use yours horizontally, do NOT place anything heavy on top of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Alos likes this.
  3. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    Ninja'd again :p

I'd assume your 790 isn't the "Micro Tower" version (i.e. the biggest one), if that's the case then sure they can be placed either horizontally or vertically as they're designed for such placements.

One thing I beg to differ though: Many ATX desktop cases (including MT OptiPlex) can be used when laid flat, despite not being designed for that.

Alos likes this.
  4. Alos

Alos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Allen
    Thanks. I think it's the desktop version. I "assumed" it could be laid flat or stood up vertically since there are four little rubber feet on either of the two sides. The question arose because (until I get a proper computer desk), in the vertical position it seemed that it wouldn't take much of a bump to cause it to fall over. It's much more stable on it's side. And the optical scanner drive tray "seems" more practical facing up (with the tower on its side). I'd like to leave it on its side for now as long as it's not going to damage anything.

5. Alos

Alos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Allen
    However, I'm not crazy about the vents facing up with it on its side. It looks like dust will settle more quickly into it than it would with the tower vertical and then the vents on the side. Could that be a significant problem?

6. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    If you wanna set it to stand upright, better put it next to a wall so it won't fall with a slight push.
    Not a big deal, you gotta routinely dust off the fans and replace the thermal paste anyway. I'd say clean it up once per 1-2 years.

P.S. FYI I do the same once per 6-12 months, laptops and desktops included. The period depends on how frequent I use.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Alos likes this.
  7. Alos

Alos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Allen
    Thank You.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Vents on top of that desktop case are similar to vents on top of a TV cable box, modem/router, etc..

I use a brush attachment on my vacuum cleaner hose to suck up and remove the dust.
    Note: Don't do that INSIDE the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    Should be fine as long as you properly ground the case while doing so, I guess?

10. Alos

Alos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Allen
    Thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice