1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can u repair damaged HD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by STUPIDGIRL, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STUPIDGIRL

STUPIDGIRL Thread Starter

I have a 40 GB HD that was removed from my sisters computer because it is damaged. Is there any way to repair damaged HD's?
    I tried to low level format and it says it can't. So before it just gets tossed I thought I'd see if there is anyway to repair it.

~susiejo

2. briealeida

briealeida

How was it damaged?

3. IceCold

IceCold

Well, If its just a general "damage" (software...etc.) it can be fixed with a program i need to find on my external to remember what it is.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Usually the drive manufacturer will have a utility on their website.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the manufacturer's diagnostic chokes on the drive, it's toast. :)

6. STUPIDGIRL

Thanks for the info. I'll try to check out the manufacturer and go from there. The HD is a WD400 WD Caviar.
    Off to Google!

7. JohnWill

8. STUPIDGIRL

Thanks JohnWill for the links. I'll try them out when I get back from vacation (too much going on right now just trying to get ready).
    Guess I'll be back in about a week.
    Have fun Y'all!!! :cool:

~susiejo

9. JohnWill

Enjoy the vacation, and don't anguish too much over your job waiting when you get back. :D

10. STUPIDGIRL

OK. Is there any way to run some diagnostic programs on the damaged hard drive without installing it into a computer? Like connection it as an external hd? I have an external hard drive setup that I switch other hd in and out of, can I do it that way?

If so I suppose I would hook it up then locate it under "my computer" and then run the diagnostics from there?

Thanks!

~susiejo

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What do you exactly mean by damaged?

12. STUPIDGIRL

My sis's computer just when bezerk one day and wouldn't do anything. I tried a few things and couldn't get it to do anything. I installed a new hard drive in her computer and everything is fine. So I brought the old hd home to see if I could get anything from it but even when I used PCDoctor on it to do a low level it wouldn't do it. I finally gave up. I think it may be heat damage because she's not on the internet and she doesn't share floppys or cds.

But I also just fixed a tp 600e laptop and the hd is showing bad sectors when I run scandisk. I wanted to know just some basics of fixing hard drives. Is there anyway to repair the bad sectors or just let scandisk mark them as bad and leave it at that?

I see on ebay where people sell damaged hard drives for "parts or repair" so I just assumed that they are fixable somehow.

Thanks for all the help.

~susiejo

13. JohnWill

If you have a drive that is developing bad sectors, place it in that round can next to your desk! Once that process starts, the drive will be unreliable at best, and is likely to develop more bad sectors or totally die. Drives are too cheap to fool around with broken ones.

14. kev1952

kev1952

A couple of quick questions. Is the drive recognised in the BIOS? Does it spin up when you apply power? Is it making any loud noises? Can you hear any ticking noises?

15. STUPIDGIRL

When the hd was in a computer it was recognized in the BIOS and it was running but I did not notice any loud or clicking noises. (If I fail to mention it is a WD400, western digital, 40 gb hd.)

I know I could replace the laptop hard drive for about $40 but if the bad sectors could be fixed I just figured I'd fix it. But if you say it's a lost cause I'll just go for the replacement.

I'm just alway curious to learn new things about computers and so I thought I'd just fool around with some old hd and see what I can do with them. I love computers and I have learned alot in the last year or so since I've been coming here and playing around with old computers. I hope someday to build my own!!!;)

~susiejo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice