1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can u send email when Internet is down??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MoneyGuy99, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MoneyGuy99

MoneyGuy99 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I have been discussing some issues with a friend from work, and we are both uncertain about a particular issue we were talking about.

Can a situation exist where, say, people in the office can send email back and forth to each other, but cannot send/receive email outside of the building???

I was thinking if the Internet was down, you would still be able to send email to eachother, because u are external to your email server, but if u are on the outside, u will not be able to send/receieve email??

If this is true, does SMTP protocol play a role here. From what I understand, and please correct me if/when Im wrong, SMTP is the protocol responsible to sending email across the Internet?? So, if the Internet is down, SMTP is not in affect, therefore inhibiting people from inside the organization from sending/receiving email outside the organization???

IF I AM TOTALLY OFF, which I think I probably am, can someone please take the time to explain this to me??

To tell u the truth, I am have job interview coming up next monday, its for a network analyst position, i just want to get some of my basis covered??

I welcome all ideas, opinions, thank u all so very much

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If there is a private (intranet) mail service set up, then people can send/receive emails locally within that network, but if the pipe to the outside internet is down, they can't send/receive to that community.

3. MoneyGuy99

MoneyGuy99 Thread Starter

we do have an "intranet site" set up, how would u know if it is set up for sending email???

Also do u the difference between POP3, SMTP, and IMAP, need a simple, dumbed-down explanation of what they are, and how it works?? thank you all again

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Easiest way is ask the techies!
    As for POP3, SMTP, and IMAP Google or any other search engine is your friend.

5. valis

valis Moderator

as whitphil said, ask your IT group. We have that setup here at my company, anyone in the building can send emails to each other, but the vast majority of them do not have internet access. The bottom line is you need to ask the people who set up your network.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice