1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can View other Computers but cannot access files/drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zeke, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

I am able to find other computers on the network but I am not able to get files from them. This is a work computer and I do have administrator privileges on one computer but not the others. I don't get any access denied messages or anything like that but can view the computers. Why am I not able to get to the other computers drive?

thanks,

z

2. shenrick

shenrick

Is it just that you can't find a share? Or, when you DO try to open a share, there's nothing there? It's possible that the shares on the computers are hidden. Try typing "c$" (without the " ") in the URL after opening the computer. On NTFS file systems, the hard drive (and any other drive on the computer) has a hidden admin share. You can tell if it's hidden, because it's followed by the $. Good Luck

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Perhaps those other computers have not granted your name/password sharing rights?

4. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

I am not sure what you mean by share but I can find the other computers (specifically two that I want to access) listed when using find computer on the network neighborhood. The one I have administrator privileges is on a diferrent domain but I can go to any pc in the room (7 of them) and see the other six. Not sure if the drive is ntfs but will check.

I will try your suggestion tomorrow and get back to you.

thanks

z

5. JohnWill

Actually, the admin share is on any drive, NTFS or FAT, it's not significant for this discussion.

6. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

After typing in the computer name it appears on the right side but once I click on the computer all that is there is the printer. Where do I type in C$?

Thanks

z

7. shenrick

shenrick

You type in c$ in the address bar at the top of the window (the space below where it says "file....edit...view" etc) . It would look something like this \\"computer name"\c$ where "computer name" is the name of the computer your connected to.

8. JohnWill

What you should be doing is establishing a new share for any resource you want to share. You should not normally be using the admin shares C$, D$, etc.

9. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Zeke:

Going by your last post, it looks like you have everything set up correctly but have not shared any resources/ drives or folders.

First you have to install and enable "File and Printer Sharing". Then, from Windows Explorer (left pane), right click on the folder or drive that you want to share and go to Properties and then hit the sharing tab. There you can give it a name like "My Documents on PC2". (note this is all done on the computer(s) you would like to access across the network).

Now, when you go into Network Nieghborhood (on any computer in the workgroup) and double click on that computer (i.e. PC2), you should see the "Printers Folder" and "My Documents on PC2".

10. 10forcash

10forcash

If you're on a domain, why not ask the sysadmin to map the drives / folders you need to have access to in your profile ?
    Cheers,
    10forcash

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice