1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can virus go onto a disk?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by bufalo, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bufalo

bufalo Thread Starter

Just wondering....

I and almost everyone I know has had trouble with flashdrives or pendrives giving their home pc's viruses after using them elsewhere. I've stopped using them altogether. What I do now is I use CD's. Can viruses transfer to a CD if it isn't "burned" on a PC?

For example, I burn some text on my system, then bring the CD to a cafe to print out the text - can a virus jump on it? Or would I have to burn somehting on the disc in the cafe with a virus unkowingly attached?

Thanks!

Kind of a second question: If I do use a pendrive and my NOD32 says it's infected and I remove the file, is that it? Or can I still have problems? (I imagine so)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'd have to burn something that contained a virus on to the CD. Since CD's are "read-only" media, you're not going to carry any viruses home unless you burn them to CD.

Yes, if your AV says it has removed the virus, you are usually safe. If you have already moved something from that drive, then you may have brought the virus, too. If you scan your drive as soon as you hook it up, the chances that you will get infected are vanishingly small. Common sense and due care will protect you from 99.9% of all problems.

3. bufalo

bufalo Thread Starter

thanks! That's what I figured but thought to ask anyway

4. CHAD27

CHAD27

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice