Can webservers run on XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobbee

I found that Me is the only o/s that doesn't support running webservers, IIs nor PWS.

Will webservers run on XP ?

Will IIs ?

XP does not come with Apache! It comes with a limited version of IIS (you're only allowed to have one web site and one FTP) my problem is that I can't get it to work.

TweakBoy never said Apache comes 'with' XP, just that it's free for download and has no problems running on XP.

So has anyone successfully managed to get PWS to work with XP HE? I have heard that it is possible and I believe it because there was a KB article on MS’s site that detailed how. However the article has been removed. The articles number is/was q310090.

I just need a server to test ASP scripts that I am working on that can be FTPed to a website after testing is completed. I hate to pay the $200 for pro for just this one feature. Especially since I have purchased Win2K pro twice already.

By the way, XP HE came preinstalled on a lap top I just purchased and the reseller said that they could not alter the OS.

Any reason you can't use IIS (included with Pro, not sure about HE) or Apache (free)?

bobbee

I purchased XP home edition and noticed that the manual that comes with it states that it can't run
a web server. I upgraded to the XP Pro for this reason.

Any reason you can't use IIS (included with Pro, not sure about HE) or Apache (free)?
No IIS is not included and can not be installed. However I did manage to get it to show up in the Add/Remove Components box by hacking the sysoc.inf file. It still can not be checked to install IIS though. Apache wont work because I need to test ASP scripts which rely in PWS/IIS to compile and display to the browser.

I found that Me is the only o/s that doesn't support running webservers, IIs nor PWS.
I have found the same thing however I think I am going to get Partition Magic and install Win 2000 on the laptop in a separate partition. This way I can save $140 and can resize the partitions as I need to. As it is, I am only using one of my two Pro licenses anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online