1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can websites see what names I download my files as?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by OM2, Dec 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I have to make regular downloads from a website of sales reports.

I save my files with specific long file names - this contains sensitive information.

QUESTION: can the website I download from see what I save the file name as?
    Should I download and then rename?

Thanks.

2. mh3330

mh3330

Not knowing the website or specifics...

If you are renaming the file from within the standard Save File dialog box, then no. The only person that can see that change is you. The actual rename occurs client-side after the packets have been transferred to your computer. If you are making a change to the file name on their server first, before the standard Save File dialog appears, then maybe.

For example, if you have an account on their site which saves your file name information, and the renamed file remains visible the next time you visit the site (like OneDrive or DropBox save your file names). In this case, server-side scripts and databases will be involved and they could potentially obtain your file name information.

OM2 likes this.
  3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

@mh330 thanks for the reply. I read your reply before and didn't have a chance to say thanks.

I don't like how we are traced like slaves. Where 'companies' can get EXACT details of who you are and what you are doing by simply piecing together different bits of information.

Doesn't matter to other... but it did matter greatly to me to know if websites can know what names you save files as.

4. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Why not save the file as File123.extenstion and rename when you're offline?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice