Can Win98 be as fast as WinMe in Boot & Shutdown?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SGtheArtist

Well how about it is there anyway to make Windows 98 boot and shutdown as fast as Windows Me? Thanks

It's possible. My experience is, that a computer will boot up and shutdown very close to the same amount of time between using Win98 and WinME. It all depends on what your loading and how you have things configured. If you have the settings configured the same as much as you can, it could, but these are only my experiences. I don't think ME loads that fast. ON a newage computer, Win98xME OSs all load quick regardless.

would like to add that Win98 will probably never be winME in a restart, but as for a straight bootup, win98 can beat winME no problem. for win98, you don't even need config.sys and autoexec. It all depends what you are loading at startup and if you have a lot fo usb devices.

Del

I have a 200MHz processor with 128M Ram. I can reboot faster in Win ME and Win 2000 Pro then a friend with a 750MHz process with 256M ram. He is starting everything under the sun, I'm starting the bare essencials. It you have a slow anti virus program and a lot in the start up menu, it's going to take longer.
I've heard people say you need a 1GHz processor and 256M or more RAM to run WinXP, I'm running it on a 200MHz machine with 80M RAM and it's working fine.
It mostly is what you have start on boot up.
Del

I doubt 98 can beat ME in boot up speed, ME has no autoexec.bat or config.sys to load so it should always beat 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online