1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Windows Media Player play Real Audio Files?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Fredfromoz, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fredfromoz

Fredfromoz Thread Starter

Can anyone help me please? I'm using Windows Media Player ver.10 with XP Pro. Is there any way I can get it to play Real Audio Files with .ra and .rm extensions. I have uninstalled Real Player and now cannot play some 300 music files. Alternatively does anyone know of a player, other than Real Player, that will play them?
    My thanks in advance.
    Fredfromoz.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Fredfromoz

Evandil, I've downloaded and installed Real Alternative, but I cannot get it to open. I have a window about 4" x 5" with 3 2 1 in the centre and the usual options up top, File/View etc., but I cannot open File to navigate to a music file. Any ideas, other than uninstalling/ reinstalling which I've done 3 times already?
    Fredfromoz.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like you chose to install Media Player Classic, which is included, but not necessary. Try reinstalling but choose not to install MPC. Then see if your ram files open in WMP10.

5. crellin

crellin

along th same line, I have wm7 installed, I tried to install wm10 but it would not install. Guess my win98 is to old.
    I have real radio installed which caused my much problems and deleted it. In view of the posts on this subject, would the real player in anyway involve real radio, I am tempted to d/l it in support of wm7 of which I cannot burn cd's from my download due to what it has said it would not work due to know having a recording device.
    Thanks

6. Fredfromoz

Elvandil, I've tried your latest suggestion and installed Real Alternative without MPC, but no luck. When I try to play a file in WMP10 I get a message saying "WMP cannot play the file. One or more Codecs required to play the file could not be found".
    However I can play all my .ra and .rm files in Irfanview which is a very basic player with no options to make playlists or visualisations, so I guess I'll have to be satisfied with that.
    Thanks for trying anyway.
    Fredfromoz.

7. jargonize

jargonize

don't know what problems you had with real player, been using it for years. have version 10.5 free now, i would try it again. you should look at it's options though.

java, try wmp 9 works good on 98.

8. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

For the record:

Windows Media Player CANNOT playback RealMedia or Quicktime files, even with the proper codecs installed. You will need Media Player Classic to play these file types.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's very hard to say what the problem may be. I can play Quicktime and Real files perfectly in WMP10 and they even have the WMP icon representing them (I made the file associations manually). It is very easy, with all the players and codec packages out there, to seriously hobble a machine's multimedia capabilities by installing too much of that stuff. I was very careful on this installation to keep these things to a minimum from the time it was installed and not to add anything until needed. Real Player and Quicktime have never been on this machine since the Alternatives were installed at the beginning.

Sometimes the best route is to remove all players and codecs (being sure to unregister them, too) and starting from scratch.

10. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

This is interesting... It's well-known fact that WMP cannot playback QT and Real media files even with the proper codecs/filters installed. Maybe I'm missing something? I'll believe it when I see it...

11. Fredfromoz

prOt3st and Elvandil, I thought you guys were supposed to be helping me, but you cannot agree among yourselves. :) Elvandil says I don't need Media Player Classic and prOt3st says I do. Who am I supposed to believe?
    I have downloaded MPC from Sourceforge.net as found on Google and I get the same result as reported in my 2nd. post above. I can open View/Play/Navigate/Favourites/Help from the toolbar, but I cannot open File, so I cannnot access any files to see if they will play or not.
    Any more suggestions?
    Fredfromoz.

12. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

Fredfromoz: Sorry to confuse you... I firmly standby what I've said, "WMP cannot playback Real or QT media files" That is, unless someone can show me otherwise. Visit any forum on the net, and I guarantee 10 out 10 people will tell you the same thing -- it's a well known fact. I don't dispute Elvandil's claims, but I haven't been able to playback RM or QT in WMP even with all the proper codecs/filters installed. WMP is my media player of choice, and I would love to have it playback these file types without having to install/use an alternate player. Being rather tech-savvy myself, I've tried just about everything, but couldn't get it to work. At present, I use Media Player Classic (MPC) to playback RM and QT media files.

13. Fredfromoz

prOt3st, I will have to take your word for it as I am not that computer savvy enough to know better. OK, so I have MPC, so why the heck can't I open it? When I click on 'File' it freezes for about 30 seconds and all I can do is close it.
    Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled it to no avail.
    Fredfromoz.

14. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

Did you download the "RealAlternative" codec package (MPC requires it). If so, open MPC >> View >> Options. In the Options window, click on Formats. Make sure "Real Audio file", "Real Media file" and "Real Script file" are checked. Also make sure the check in the boxes are not "greyed".

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

I have played my RM files in Windows Media Player without any problems (using the RealAlternative codec).

As for Jargonize, Windows Media Player 10 is not supported on Windows 98. If you try to download it from microsoft.com it will give you version 9 instead.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355190