1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can XP still be used to run a program

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chopperman, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chopperman

chopperman Thread Starter

I want to buy a reloading program called Ballistics Explorer by Oehler. This program is used by shooters and competition reloaders. My question is can I use this program on my old XP laptop even though I don't use it anymore and you can't update XP. I'd like to use this as a single purpose computer. Would you erase the old hard drive or would I need the drivers that are on it to make a program work.

Thank you, Stan

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the program is compatible with XP then it should run fine. If you erase the hard drive you will erase XP. Drivers make the hardware work not programs.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. chopperman

Allen, what was thinking about was getting rid of old websites and accounts that were password protected. I installed all of the ones I had on 2 different computers , a Windows 7 and a Chromebook.
    If I erased the hard drive can I reinstall XP's OS or would that be too risky. I have a nephew that would probably do it for me.he saved all my bookmarks to a thumb drive which I used to install on Windows 7. I have the original XP Home version cd so would that work for reinstalling the OS, and not ever using the internet since there are no patches for XP.
    Then could I install program from a cd like Ballistics Explorer's reloading program for shooters .

5. valis

valis Moderator

I'm guessing that this would be a standalone machine, not connected to anything? If so, yeah, that's perfectly fine. FYI, one of my co-workers has that app, swears by it.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Reinstalling Windows XP and getting it up-to-date and getting all devices working and getting all desired programs and add-ons installed is time-consuming and will take several hours, so I wouldn't go that route unless you really need to.

If you decide to, my install guide in the "Windows XP" section should be helpful to you.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. chopperman

Thank you all, for your help, I'll have nephew erase the hard drive of everything getting rid of personal stuff and reinstalling the XP system. I guess you could call it fancy cd dvd player then , with a new purpose in life. I love repurposing things and giving them a new usage.

I thank you all, Stan

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice