1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you advise a USB ANTIVIRUS?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by qamersland, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qamersland

qamersland Thread Starter

Hey,
    I work as I.T Technician. we are having problem of entering virus on the PCs on ships. we need to do somthing about it because crew member user memory sticks and destroying the PCs and we can not comunicate with ships. we are already using sophos antivirus but there is still problem. we need an anti Virus Program which can scan USB Drive in order not to enter virus through USB memory sticks.

Thanks

Qamer

2. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Just about any decent AV program should scan removable media when it's inserted, if it's properly configured. So I'd say that either 1) your AV program on the PC's isn't being kept updated, 2) you do have one but it isn't properly configured, or 3) your crew members are disabling it.

I'm not directly familiar with Sophos AV but I've used both AVG & Norton and both have an 'auto-protect' feature that scans removable media when it's first inserted. This includes USB sticks. (Note that the larger USB sticks now available take some time to scan and Norton's miserable performance is why I no longer use it. And AVG seems headed the same way so what I really suspect is that Sophos starts to scan the USB sticks & your crew members get impatient and stop the scan. That's strictly a guess but if it is what's happening then I don't think a different AV program will help.)

3. valis

valis Moderator

we had that same problem, and I just disabled autoplay and had them scan the device manually on a standalone a/v pc I put on board specifically for that reason. Put bitdefender on it, have them scan all usb devices, be they external hd's or thumbdrives before they put them on the pc, and with autoplay disabled, they have to actively go to the device and extract the data. At that point in time they are aware that the onus is on them to keep the machines clean.

Worked so far, except for the blasted clients. :)

4. qamersland

Thank you guys for usefull advise. This is true that the Anti virus are not updated on daily basis. the updates are sent by the service provider by Email. We cannot check if the captains of 64 ships are updating the Antivirus constantly and if the service provider are sending the updates in time. this is the reason we are looking for an antivirus which is specifically designed for USB Drives and it does not need to update signature. the idea came in my mind when i found a USB DRIVE ANTIVIRUS at download.com. i installed on my P.C and it does scan every time when i insert a USB drive but i am not sure if it will really protect against harmful viruses. Please try this Antivirus and let me know what do you think about it before i sugest this sofware to send onboard

http://www.download.com/USB-Drive-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10841283.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10851851

Thanks

5. valis

valis Moderator

if your boats are on a domain, as ours are, here's what I did for the disabling of usb sticks:

Load Active Directory Users and Computers,
    Right click the domain root, select properties
    Select the 'Group Policy' tab
    Create a new policy and call it 'Default Computer Policy'
    Highlight the policy and select 'Properties'
    Select 'Security', 'Add', type 'domain computers' and click the 'Check Now' button to find then click 'OK'
    Highlight the 'Domain Computers' entry and set permissions for this group in the 'Allow' column ticking 'Apply Group Policy'
    Click the 'General' tab and tick the box 'Disable User Configuration Settings'. This will prevent domain computers from running the user portion of the GPO as it's not used.
    Click 'OK' to apply the changes.
    Highlight the policy and open (Click 'Edit')
    Under 'Computer Configuration', 'Administrative Templates', 'System', select and open the option 'Turn of Autoplay'
    Enable the option and set it to apply to 'All drives'
    Ok the properties and close the GPO.

This will update all domain clients within the default GPO update period (90 minutes) unless you've overridden the default setting.

hth,

v

6. qamersland

Dear Valis,
    Thanks for advise. Yes our all vessells are on domain and we were already discussing about it disablig the USB port. but i want to know by disabling the USB as you have explanied above will only disable the memory sticks or it will disable the ports for any other devices as well such as usb floppy drive, external hard drive etc.

Thanks

Qamer

7. valis

valis Moderator

it will disable it for all of them. They will actively have to go to the drive in the explorer pane and browse it that way. The reason we did it this way is that to get to the data, they must actively browse to it; ergo, any virus that gets out is THEIR fault for not using the a/v pc that is on the bridge.

8. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I don't know that there's any AV I'd trust that doesn't need to update the signature-but there are some AV's that are more dependent on signature files than other AV products are.

I'd say you want an AV product that has a good heuristics tool. As I've said, I don't use Sophos but I did a quick check of their site & didn't find any mention of heuristics. They've got too good a rep for me to think they don't use it, but it appears they don't use that term for it.

So now you have two terms you should search for: heuristics & removable media. I'd be real surprised if Sophos doesn't have both, but you might need to tweak the settings. And if, perchance, they don't have both then find one that does. (AVG & Norton do-I know that for sure although I'm not real impressed with the latest version of either.)

There are AV products that install on & run from USB sticks (ClamWin, available from portableapps.org is one) but they still need to be updated & I'm not sure any of them automatically scan the USB stick itself. In fact I'm not sure any of them even run automatically-doing so presents a nice problem since you would potentially have two AV programs running at the same time, a situation certain to cause conflicts.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice