1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you boot your Win7 cd-rom with external?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by panteera, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panteera

panteera Thread Starter

Hi guys, first time posting here, it seems like you have a great and helping community going on here!

Unfortunately, I didn't find any posts answering my silly question:
    Can you boot your computer with an external usb dvd-rom drive (having the win7 dvd in it)?

Apparently I have a very outdated dvd-rom, so it couldn't connect with my newly bought motherboard (Intel Desktop Board DP67DE Sandy Bridge) in which I don't really have any idea how to format my partitions and reinstall my OS. Repairing doesn't work, system restore is denied aswell, and command prompt... Well let's just say it's like a foreign language to me.

I just wanted to clear this question up, whether it's ACTUALLY possible, because it just goes stuck during the boot-up screen where it shows the motherboard's manufacturer. I can get into BIOS without having my usb external attached, but with it... Can't get nowhere. I've seen similar issues with other OS's and different external usb hard drives, but this is like a dvd-rom external, where you can put a DVD into it.

Right, enough talk :p Any ideas fellas, how to handle this? :S

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As long as the motherboard supports booting from a USB drive, which all new systems do, then yes you can boot any CD or DVD from it. You may just have a compatibility between that drive and the motherboard if its locks up the computer when its plugged in. New SATA DVD-RW drives are dirt cheap though, I;d just buy a new one.

3. panteera

panteera Thread Starter

Yeah, i've been thinking about it, and I guess the easiest way is to just buy a cheap dvd-rom, but I just wondered why it didn't work, it's still a dvd-rom, just an external one.
    Oh well, some things will stay a mystery for us noobs, thanks though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice