1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you change a programs default ICON?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BigDaveinNJ, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Sometimes I will temporarily put shortcuts to files on my desktop. Of course... the icon that will be displayed will always be the default for whatever program it is associated with.

Now... I know you can change the icon for that shortcut individually by right-clicking, and choosing CHANGE ICON.

Well... Let's say I don't like the default icon of a program, for whatever reason.

Can I change the icon that wiill be associated with that file extension so I don't have to change each shortcut INDIVIDUALLY?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

For instance.... for whatever reason, i do not like the IRFANVIEW icon. Can I change it somewhere so that I see some other icon associated with Irfanview? And in corresponding shortcuts that associate with Irfanview as well?

Attached Files:

• IV.gif
      IV.gif
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
  2. brindle

brindle

You can do the right click with Irfanview also. For other options see my post here

3. Deke40

Deke40

Brindle-I wonder what happened to Flintstone?

4. brindle

brindle

Deke
    I don't know, I think many new people come here and ask their question then sit back waiting for the phone to ring.

5. Deke40

Deke40

BigDave-Explore\View\Folder Options\File Types\Highlight the file extension\Edit\Change Icon\click your choice or browse to one\Ok\Close\Close.

This way is if you like to do it the old fashioned way or you can do as Brindle suggest and use a program for this. Your choice.

6. Deke40

Deke40

:D

7. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Thanks Deke .... Followed your suggestions = :)

8. Deke40

Deke40

How ironic, that is the one I used to try it out before I posted it as I had never used that trick myself. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice