Can you find a workgroup's path?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jpboyrox

I want to create a shortcut to a workgroup from my vistart (http://lee-soft.com/vistart/) start menu. This requires me to know its path in the same way that My Computer's path is ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}. Perhaps that is not completely true but nevertheless I need to find a path that will link me to the workgroup. I have tried right-clicking and selecting create shortcut. This puts a shortcut on my desktop but the path of it is greyed-out and simply saying the workgroup's name (Home). Does anyone know how to find the path?

jpboyrox

Just testing html:
<a href="http://lee-soft.com/vistart/>ViStart</a>

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You want the shortcut to your workgroup in the start menu?

jpboyrox

In my vistart start menu. I need to write it into the settings:

<option name="Workgroup" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\connect.png">
<arguement value="(CLSI?) Path"/>
</option>

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
From what I was able to research, workgroup information is stored in the SAM database. So you are SOL.

jpboyrox

I've found that if I create a .bat file with a shortcut in it and put this:

<option name="Connect To" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\connect.png">
<arguement value="D:\Users\Josh\Desktop\Josh's Documents\Computers\Misc\Home link.bat"/>
</option>

in the vistart settings it takes me to it but asks if I want to run or save it. I always want to run. Any suggestions as to how I can get it to always run?

jpboyrox

in fact, forget the batch file, I can just put in the shortcut itself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online