1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you get a 192.xxx ip address connected into a modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lightingbird, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightingbird

lightingbird Thread Starter

I'm trying to find the correct information. Hooking directly into a modem is it possible to get a 192.xxx. Now I mean a normal modem. Not a modem router combo or some wireless nonsense. A basic wall then modem into a computer connection. Rebooting the computer and power cycling the modem. Using DSL or cable. Is there any way a person would get a 192.xxx ip address or is the person just not being honest and hooked up into a router?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Many DSL and Cable modems include a built-in router with DHCP support and some could issue private IP addresses to attached computers starting with 192.168.xxx.xxx

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Some ISP's bridge their clients to their network which in this case you would get a 192.168.x.x ip address from the modem.

But then if you were working for that isp you would know what their ip scheme is.

So what prompts your question?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My guess is that there's a router involved there somewhere. 192.168.x.x addresses are not routeable and won't appear on the public Internet.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

I always though that bridging a modem caused it to become transparent and that its public IP address(es) would be passed on to the attached client computer(s). Per RFC 1918, IPC addresses 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255 are reserved as non-routable private IP addresses.

6. lightingbird

Exactly, getting a 192.xx ip address is usually an indication someone is using a router. Keep in mind, I'm trying to determine how somone can get a 192.xxx ip address when they are hooked up to a normal modem with no router in any way in the picture. They should get a public ip address not a 192.xxx assigned one.

7. fgdn17

fgdn17

unless they gave it the static address 192.xxx.ip themselves instead of
    selecting obtain an ip address automatically....check the settings on the NIC!!!

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The router in the path may not be that obvious though. I have a Speedstream 5100b (or a 5100) ADSL modem for our home DSL service. It only has a single RJ45 jack for connecting the computer. The label on the bottom makes no mention of any router capabilities. However, when used right out of the box it is configured to use NAT and DHCP to give an attached computer an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range. A typical home user could easily think and say they were connecting their computer directly to a modem and not using any router.

9. lightingbird

Yea I checked the Nic nothing set. This isn't a one person issue. Just trying to gain some information on some of my employees that work from home stating they are not going through a router and in fact they usually are indeed using one.

10. lightingbird

I see

11. avisitor

avisitor

The best way to figure out what's going on is just to navigate to the IP that is shown as the default-gateway. It's quite likely that that modem is indeed a router.

12. JohnWill

That is indeed a router, though there are some ISP's that actually lock it down to only allow a single connection, even though it has a NAT layer and a DHCP server. :)

13. JohnWill

Of course, the make and exact model of that "modem" would settle this issue. ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice