Solved Can you go from Raid 0 to Raid 5 or 10?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lu Zhun

Hello. I am already using 2 SSD's in Raid 0, but am planning on buying 2 more of the same exact ones so that I can get the backup capability in case one of the drives fail. I already have Win 7 installed on the Raid 0 setup. When I do install the two other drives, would I need to reinstall the operating system again? or can I bypass that by going through BIOS?

I am just wondering how that will work. Thanks for the help. :)

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
A clean install is probably best however if you really really do not want to clean install, then do the following;
1 Current setup, make an image of your raid array using acronis true image. Store this on a drive NOT part of the raid array
2 Shutdown and install whatever drives you want
3 Boot into the raid bios and delete the array on the first two drives
4 Create your new array with all of the drives
5 Boot with the acronis boot usb/cd. Restore the image to your new array

The above requires you to purchase acronis true image and have an extra drive that is not part of the array ie a storage drive, external drive, NAS, etc. You may be able to do the above with one of the free image programs however I do not trust those to perform complex tasks like the above. I use and recommend acronis true image.

Just wondering. Why not just install a large mech drive to store one or more image files of the array? This way you can still have backup capability and not have to mess with anything. Up to you.

One last item. It is great that you are concerned with backups however a raid backup is for hardware failure ONLY. It does nothing for a virus/malware, corrupted driver install, accidental file deletion, etc. Every error or problem is mirrored. If you are using the motherboard onboard raid, that is an additional problem. What happens when your motherboard fails and you can no longer purchase that board??? Your array is useless. This does not happen if you are using a real raid controller however a quality raid controller costs quite a bit of money.
Using the image backup method, you still have protection against hardware failure AND all of the rest. If you get a virus, it takes all of 5~10min to restore a previous image; virus is gone.

Lu Zhun

Hey CRJDriver! It has been a while, lol. (y) Thanks for responding so quickly once again. I see.. I was thinking that was how I was going to do that if I did get 2 more SSD's. I actually have already created two full backup images with Acronis True Image 2016. It is the first time that I am using this though. I have it backed up to a secondary 2TB drive and also another to an external drive.

I guess I would like to have the 2 additional SSD's, so that the computer will continue to run even when one of the drives may fail eventually due to hardware. It should keep itself going, correct? :confused:

:eek: What is a mech drive?

Do you have a link to a good quality raid controller? I forgot about the motherboard being a potential loss since I am using the onboard array. :) :cool:

Triple6

Rob
I have to agree with crjdriver, RAID 1,5, 10 is great for servers and mission critical workstations but for home it's a waste of money, time, and effort. It protects against very little, and not even always against a hardware failure; you can still experience data or file system corruption in some cases. I'd use that money for an additional backup drive(s) instead, multiple offline backups are a much better solution for a home user. You can restore from an Acronis backup in minutes on a modern system and the offline backup protects against malware, file corruption, various other errors/issue, and of course drive failure. Realistically you should have one backup copy offsite as well to protect again disasters and theft.

Lu Zhun

Hi Triple6! Thanks for your input as well. You are probably right. That money could probably be spent on better usage and seeing that I already have multiple backup's at hand, I should not even consider this expense for the 2 additional SSD's then.

I do believe that the RAID 0 has been helping tremendously with my Skyrim Gameplay experience as the loading screens are gone through almost as fast as a door open/closes which makes the game even more immersive and cuts out all of that waiting time. I guess I was just hoping to have an option that the computer will continue to work even if one of the SSD's just so happens to have a hardware failure even though these drives do have a 10 year warranty. :confused:

Triple6

Rob
RAID-0 is nice for a faster drive access, I used RAID-0 in my previous desktop computers and in most servers as RAID-10. But the speed you are seeing for game loads/saves could also just be from the fact that you are using an SSD. Even single SSD's are now incredibly fast.

Lu Zhun

Yes. That is true. I never got to test Skyrim out on just one of these SSD's by itself. So I am not sure how one of these compares to the RAID speeds. (y)

Triple6

Rob
In a modern system with SSD's I've seen nearly double the speeds of a single SSD. But new SSD's have mind blowing read and write speeds, and no seek times like older mechanical drives.

Lu Zhun

I wasn't taking any chances though because I was SO tired of waiting through the loading screens of that game because of how much I play it, I wanted to try focusing on whatever I could to cut out that delay, lol. :D

Lu Zhun

In a modern system with SSD's I've seen nearly double the speeds of a single SSD. But new SSD's have mind blowing read and write speeds, and no seek times like older mechanical drives.
Interesting. Is the Samsung 850 Pro (256gb read/write speeds) still considered one of the faster current SSD's? Or are there newer ones that have come out this year that are even faster? :cool:

Triple6

Rob
I have no issue with people using RAID-0 in high-end workstations or gaming systems, it does help and even modern motherboard/chipset Intel RAID controllers do a really good job handling RAID-0. I just stress backups; multiple and verified copies. And with Cryptolocker type malware running rampant offline backups are key.

Lu Zhun

Wow. I have heard of that type of Malware. I imagine you get it through downloading an attachment or can it infiltrate one of the Windows Updates when that is being automatically downloaded and get into the system that way? :eek:

Triple6

Rob
There's newer and faster SSD's coming out all the time. For SATA 6, the 850 is one of the fastest. But now there's M.2 SSD's that massively outperform SATA drives. 2500Mb/s read speeds and 1500Mb/s wrie speeds for the Samsung 950 Pro.

Triple6

Rob
No, not Windows Update. Email and websites are where they come from.

Lu Zhun

There's newer and faster SSD's coming out all the time. For SATA 6, the 850 is one of the fastest. But now there's M.2 SSD's that massively outperform SATA drives. 2500Mb/s read speeds and 1500Mb/s wrie speeds for the Samsung 950 Pro.
Wow! So Samsung 950 Pro sounds like really cool. What are the M.2 SSD's? They are not SATA drives themselves? :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts