1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you help a desperate girl?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [email protected], Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. surveys@spra

[email protected] Thread Starter

Hi all...

A few weeks ago I formatted my harddisks. I now managed to install win 2000 in DOS, and was asked to restart my computer. I then got a blue screen with the message; 'Inaccessible boot device'.

I have a ABIT-BE6-II motherboard.

I would guess it is my motherboard that needs its drivers for the hard disks to work properly?

Where can I find the driver I need? And what do I have to do in DOS to install it? What commands should I type?

2. n2gun

n2gun

If you have not done it, go into the bios and set the boot sequence to boot from cd-rom 1st. It is probably looking at the hard drive and not seeing system files.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You shouldn't need any additional drivers for that MB, the disk is on the standard IDE channel, correct?

Exactly how did you install "in DOS"?

4. surveys@spra

n2gun, hey, it is set as 1st.. o_O

johnwill, I don't?

What is the IDE channel?

Uh, I feel blonde, and I should, 'cause I am, but anyways... lol

Installing in DOS... I booted with win98 floppy disk, and used it to get into R:\ (my cd-rom) which contained the win2000 professional cd... wrote I386\winnt and it installed, and asked me to reboot.. so I did, but then I got the blue screen..

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, its probably best to boot right from the CD and re-run the setup. Use the win2000 setup to delete the partition and reinstall 2000.

The windows 2000 CD is bootable and you have to set the boot order beginning with CD-ROM then HARDDRIVE in the BIOS.

6. surveys@spra

Hey you... I would if I could, but it's already set to boot with CD first..

would've, could've, should've

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you turn the computer off (with the 2K cd in the drive) then restart?

8. surveys@spra

Yup, I did...

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What does the top of the 2K cd say? Is it a full install cd?

10. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

I would try installing it again. Formate the drive first or select that option during the install so you erase what's there now. The CD should be bootable, doesn't matter if it's full or upgrade. If it is a copy and isn't bootable, I have one like that, do as you did run winnt.exe from dos and it should install OK. If you load smartdrive it will go a lot faster. I've done it many times. Another option is to create the 2k boot floppy set. You can do that with a utility on the cd. Run makboot in the bootdisk folder. You should end up with a set of 4 floppies.

11. surveys@spra

Yeah, it's a full install cd... win 2000 professional. it's not a copy.

alphanumeric; Well, after hundreds of tries with different things, I gave up and actually managed to install win98...

but now I get the message in win 98 when I try to open files; 'WHATEVER' is not a valid Win32-program...

what is that?

12. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Sounds like the file is an old dos program that won't run in windows protected mode.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While it is “possible” to install win2k from dos, it is not recommended. If your computer is already set to boot from the cd, restart with win2k cd in the drive. After setup loads, choose to install from the menu. Highlight the partition you installed win2k into and choose to delete it. Repeat for any other partitions on the disk. Now create one or more partitions and format with ntfs; setup will continue. Once the os is loaded, load software in this order.

Update to sp4
    Install chipset mb drivers
    Update DirectX
    Install sound, nic, etc.
    Install video driver last

Now install apps / games

14. surveys@spra

hey you...

but it's not windows protected mode..
    and it's also the message I get when I try to open my cd-rom...

:|

*cry*

so tired of all this...

I have also tried installing win xp, and everything.. but no workie.. back to win98 again.. no workie there either..

*sobsobsob*

15. surveys@spra

could there be something wrong with my ram??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice