Can you help a desperate girl?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

[email protected]

Hi all...

A few weeks ago I formatted my harddisks. I now managed to install win 2000 in DOS, and was asked to restart my computer. I then got a blue screen with the message; 'Inaccessible boot device'.

I have a ABIT-BE6-II motherboard.

I would guess it is my motherboard that needs its drivers for the hard disks to work properly?

Where can I find the driver I need? And what do I have to do in DOS to install it? What commands should I type?

If you have not done it, go into the bios and set the boot sequence to boot from cd-rom 1st. It is probably looking at the hard drive and not seeing system files.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You shouldn't need any additional drivers for that MB, the disk is on the standard IDE channel, correct?

Exactly how did you install "in DOS"?

[email protected]

n2gun, hey, it is set as 1st.. o_O

johnwill, I don't?

What is the IDE channel?

Uh, I feel blonde, and I should, 'cause I am, but anyways... lol

Installing in DOS... I booted with win98 floppy disk, and used it to get into R:\ (my cd-rom) which contained the win2000 professional cd... wrote I386\winnt and it installed, and asked me to reboot.. so I did, but then I got the blue screen..

Triple6

Rob
Yeah, its probably best to boot right from the CD and re-run the setup. Use the win2000 setup to delete the partition and reinstall 2000.

The windows 2000 CD is bootable and you have to set the boot order beginning with CD-ROM then HARDDRIVE in the BIOS.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Did you turn the computer off (with the 2K cd in the drive) then restart?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What does the top of the 2K cd say? Is it a full install cd?

I would try installing it again. Formate the drive first or select that option during the install so you erase what's there now. The CD should be bootable, doesn't matter if it's full or upgrade. If it is a copy and isn't bootable, I have one like that, do as you did run winnt.exe from dos and it should install OK. If you load smartdrive it will go a lot faster. I've done it many times. Another option is to create the 2k boot floppy set. You can do that with a utility on the cd. Run makboot in the bootdisk folder. You should end up with a set of 4 floppies.

[email protected]

Yeah, it's a full install cd... win 2000 professional. it's not a copy.

alphanumeric; Well, after hundreds of tries with different things, I gave up and actually managed to install win98...

but now I get the message in win 98 when I try to open files; 'WHATEVER' is not a valid Win32-program...

what is that?

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Yeah, it's a full install cd... win 2000 professional. it's not a copy.

alphanumeric; Well, after hundreds of tries with different things, I gave up and actually managed to install win98...

but now I get the message in win 98 when I try to open files; 'WHATEVER' is not a valid Win32-program...

what is that?
Sounds like the file is an old dos program that won't run in windows protected mode.

crjdriver

While it is “possible” to install win2k from dos, it is not recommended. If your computer is already set to boot from the cd, restart with win2k cd in the drive. After setup loads, choose to install from the menu. Highlight the partition you installed win2k into and choose to delete it. Repeat for any other partitions on the disk. Now create one or more partitions and format with ntfs; setup will continue. Once the os is loaded, load software in this order.

Update to sp4
Install chipset mb drivers
Update DirectX
Install sound, nic, etc.
Install video driver last

Now install apps / games

[email protected]

hey you...

but it's not windows protected mode..
and it's also the message I get when I try to open my cd-rom...

:|

*cry*

so tired of all this...

I have also tried installing win xp, and everything.. but no workie.. back to win98 again.. no workie there either..

*sobsobsob*

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts