1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you help me install MSE?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by matelot2, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

Just over 2 years ago I asked for help with a slow computer https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-with-slow-laptop.1191231/
    The help I got I am very grateful for.
    One of the suggestions was to remove the AVG from my computer and instal MSE.
    I removed AVG using the control panel and uninstall but MSE failed to load with the box shown below.
    I am now experiencing a slow computer once more and have decided to try to install MSE again.
    I have removed AVG and tried to install MSE and got the same box.
    Would someone mind helping me to install MSE please.
    I have reinstalled AVG to give me some protection.
    Regards,
    Bob. mse failure box.PNG

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do you MEAN that you were NEVER able to install MSE on the topic - 2years ago

Because on post 30 on that topic you said
    However although I am a little confused as to if MSE ever installed follow the procedures on this link
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...microsoft-security-essentials-can-not-install

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you have installed it once then uninstalled it, I think it didn't get completely uninstalled so it's throwing this error. Try using revo uninstaller to uninstall windows anitmalware and try installing it again.

4. Macboatmaster

IMHO it would be necessary to uninstall AVG before attempting to reinstall MSE
    I recommend you follow the advice in the link I sent

and indeed the rest of the procedure

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  5. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
  6. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
  8. Macboatmaster

The same as I have included on my post 6, but in fact has been used before by Matelot2
    on the previous topic of his that I referred to.

9. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    The OP didn’t say they’d tried the AVG uninstaller in their first post nor in any reply that I can see. I see that they’ve had this problem for years though.
    Perhaps they solved it previously but returned to AVG but now wish to return to MSE & now cannot.

10. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in replying. I seem to remember going through all the information in
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...microsoft-security-essentials-can-not-install
    and getting nowhere over a few evenings.
    I have just done all this again without any change.
    I have to reinstal AVG at every stage as I don't know what each call back to the internet might result in files entering my computer that I don't want if I don't have it.
    The bottom line of the above link says
    If the steps did not resolve the issue, contact support. For more information, see Customer support.
    clicking on customer support gives me
    msa cust support.PNG
    ???
    I have no other antivirus software. I have even uninstalled malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware.
    I have now reinstalled AVG.

11. Macboatmaster

So to ask the same question again
    On the topic two years or so ago on what I think is the same computer the following posts

and your reply was

so before we continue are you now saying that you never actually did this
    and ran with MSE

OR did you change your mind and go back to AVG

I am asking to try and establish if you have ever successfully installed MSE on this computer

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you don't have the pro edition of AVG, it doesn't have a firewall component, and it won't stop bad files from entering your PC. The free version is an after-the-fact removal tool.

Can we switch subjects and focus instead on fixing your slow computer ?

13. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

I am very sorry for the confusion I am causing.
    I think I have discovered how I have been confusing people.
    The thread I refered to earlier in this thread was the laptop cleaning thread ( not this computer) that I am grateful you helped me with and I did successfully remove the AVG and replace it with MSE.
    Capture.PNG
    In the first entry of the laptop thread I mentioned the original thread.
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-running-very-slow-and-intermittant.1190389/page-2
    but didn't put a link to it.
    Again I was helped to clean this computer in that thread and it made quite a difference.
    When I had finished cleaning the laptop and replacing the virus eater I tried to remove the virus eater (AVG) from this computer. I got the refusals I have been indicating.
    So, The laptop now runs MSE and my desktop runs AVG, it is this desktop copy I want to try to remove.
    I have done some cleaning up and deleting of various unused files in the mean time and the computer is a little faster.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice