1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you install an XP OS off a Vista OS???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by socojo2002, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. socojo2002

socojo2002 Thread Starter

I'm trying to fix a computer that I received that the Hard Drive may have had a virus and I tried to reinstall and format the whole XP system but I had no luck because the bios does not see the Sata HD. I dont know a ton about computers but Im not stupid.( at least I dont think so) My question for anyone out there that has an extrem amount of intelect with working with computers is "Is it possible and would it help if I was to put an XP OS onto a Hard Drive off of my computer which is an Vista OS and could that work?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've read your post a few times, but I can't understand what you're asking.

Do you want to install Vista?
    Do you want to install XP?
    Do you want a dual boot system?
    Are you having trouble installing a certain operating system?

Windows Vista and Windows XP are two independent operating systems. You can't install one from another and vice versa. They don't exist within each other. They exist independently but can be installed on the same hard drive in what's called a "dual boot" setup.

3. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

If you currently run Vista, XP PRO would be an upgrade! :D

All joking aside, many motherboards (especially certain ASUS models)
    can't boot directly off the SATA raid controller. A BIOS update may help.
    Then again, maybe not.

These motherboards need RAID support installed on the hard drive,
    and since you formatted it.... :eek: :eek:

You can always make a NT boot floppy on another XP machine... :D

Sometimes booting from a CD won't help, because when you press F6
    to install RAID/SCSI support, it asks you to "insert the driver disk in drive A".
    I kid you not.

There is a workaround, but it involves booting off the motherboard
    install CD first, loading FreeDOS, and then loading Windows from a
    second CD drive. Then you load your drivers from the first CD drive,
    because it will be "Drive A". If it isn't, then you can use the "join" or
    "assign" command in DOS, to trick the Windows OS installer into
    recognizing the top CD as Drive A.

Good luck!

4. socojo2002

Ok so this is what happened when I was trying to fix a computer with a XP OS because it failed at startup and it would say that the hard drive is bad basicly because maybe of a virus or something. So I did the whole refomating and reinstalling and wipeing everthing clean but when the hard drive was being fromated i got this message "setup was unable to format the partition" and then I checked the bios and the hard drive is not being detected as the Primary IDE Master so here I am asking stupid questions like is it possible to install the XP OS as a File on my computer and then be able to just insert the XP OS directly on the hard drive and obviosly It cant be done, so I remain at the question, what could I do to solve the problem with this hard drive or whatever could be causing it not to be detected?? Anything will be much appriciated and Sorry for any confusion. :confused: Thanks in advance

5. socojo2002

This computer that I got from this friend actually has a floppy drive and I did try to install the sata drivers from the floppy but at the end of all my work I still got the message "setup was unable to format the partition", and even in the bios the hard drive is not being detected at all so im wondering could it be the hard drive or the mother board or something else and How Could I find out if it is eighter or??? thanks

6. socojo2002

I setup the hard drive in my computer and formated it and the hard drive seems to run really good so do you guys or gals think that the hard drive is still bad because I couldn't see how if it runs well in my computer..:confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice