1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you move My Documents/program files to bigger partition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sharker, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

I have installed win XP pro a couple of days ago, and I thought that it would be a good idea to put windows in a separate partition. Since then I have installed a few applications on a different partition, but it is not uncommon for applications to put something in the program files folder anyway.

Is there a safe and easy way of having "my documents" and or "program files" on a bigger partition? Or would that defeat the whole point of a system partition?

Would be glad of some advice.

Tell me if it's a bad idea!

Sharker

P.S. Is there a way of telling if the system partition is on the outer or inner edge of the HD?

2. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    I'm not sure what you're asking about programs, but "my documents" can certainly point to another partition. I have mine on a separate partition just so I don't have to worry so much about losing anything if disaster strikes and I have to format my c drive. If you right click on the desktop icon you should see "target folder location" where you can tell it where you have it.

As to programs, you can INSTALL them to your other partitions easily enough; you would still have to probably reinstall them later if you ever wiped your windows partition because of the registry entries, but they wouldn't take up space on the windows partition. BTW, to install them on another drive just specify it during the installation - usually there's an option for a custom install or it will show you where the program will install and you can change the path to another drive.

There are probably applications that will successfully MOVE an already installed application. I think Norton's Cleansweep used to. Can't remember. Kind of lost track of that application over the years.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    agreed. I install my programs on one partition, games on another and music on my other machine :D

4. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Oh yer, a pain free method of moving "my documents". Thanks BratDawg.

Is there an easy may to move the folder where the desktop files are kept?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what desktop files? The files that are on your desktop?

6. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

BratDawg, when I mentioned the "Program Files" folder, what I meant was this: I normally install Applications where I want them, but say I installed The Sims 2 in D:\Games\Sims, the game installs where I want it, but it might put some files in C:\Program Files Anyway.

(I don't know is Sims 2 actually does this, but I think it might.)

Perhaps it only puts some tiny files there, I don't know. But that's why I was wondering if it should be moved. But Now I come to think of it, is does contain system applications, so it's probably best left where it is :)

7. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Tidus4Yuna, yes I mean the files in my desktop. I'm a bit messy and get folders of big sound files etc. scattered on it.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Some games install files (savae games) in the My Documents directory, which you cannot change. (Examples are Max Payne 2 and Command & Conquer: Generals)

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Then save the files in a different location then the desktop :p :D For shortcut icons, you can simply delete them since they are also in the Start > Programs menu. In fact, Windows XP has a desktop cleaner that will appear once a month or 2 weeks. Maybe you should use that too.

10. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Ok, but as I can move my documents to another partition, that should be ok. :)

But can you have the files and everything in your desktop stored on another partition? Like with My documents?

11. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

I mean like, if I have to format C: I will loose the files on the desktop. Yer I can move them but I can also manually move everything in my documents, but the desktop's such a convenient place, which is presumably why microsoft allowed you to put things there in the first place :)

So I just wondered if there was a way of getting the desktop to point to another place like you can with My documents?

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

13. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Thanks DoubleHelix, that's quite a nifty download site :)

And thanks for you help everyone else.

14. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    I like to make folders on my desktop for shorcuts - so I can group them up in folders and see my pretty resource hogging webshots pics. lol Utilities, Graphics Apps, bla bla bla. I can see where a short cut to the "desktop" folder that is in the windows, users, whatever path would come in handy.... I'm off to make a shortcut to the folder that contains my start menu items.... Easier to rearrange that there too.

BTW, nothing wrong with having a PROGRAM FILES on each partition. If a program HAS to put something in the c:\program files\ folder to run, fine, but otherwise you could stick them all on the other drives.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!