1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you really do this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

CompilierXP stated this:

About xfering your files from OLD to NEW... There are some programs with cables out on the market for this...

Or, you can PULL your HD out of your OLD system and stick it into the NEW system - just long enough to xfer the files over.

1 - open the cases, touch power supply to reduce static discharge (power off of course) and unplugged.
    2 - Unplug the DATA cable for the optical drives from the motherboard.
    3 - plug in OLD drive where the CD-ROM drives used to be using the original data vable. Use power from one of the CD-ROM to power HD.
    4 - power up - go into Windows, create a folder called OLD STUFF (or whatever) and copy ALL the data you want to that folder).
    5 - when done, power down, unplug your OLD HD, reattach the cables for the Optical drives. attach cover and power up.

This would be too cool, question?, do you have to set old HD to slave or not?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It depends on where you install the device. If you put it in place of the cdrom, [and it is the only device on ide2] then it would be the master. If you put it on ide1, then it would be slaved to your systems hd. Basically each ide channel can support up to two devices. Since you have two ide ports then you can have a max of four ide devices. Usually the system hd is on ide1 as the master and the cdrom are on ide2.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Modern mbs support cs [cable select] the placement of the device on the cable determines master / slave. The black end of the cable is for the master, the grey end is for the slave and the blue end goes to the mb.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

The REASON I state to put the TEMPORARY drive to IDE Channel #2 (Used by optical drives) is for these following good 8 reasons:

1 - You don't have to be concerned with Adjusting the JUMPER on the TEMP drive.

2 - You don't have to be concerned with Compatibility between your OLD Temp drive to your New Drive. (Yes, some IDE drives DO NOT LIKE OTHERS)

3 - You don't have to be Change the jumper on your NEW Dirve.

4 - You don't have to remove or mess with your NEW drive to get AT the jumper - in which its instructions for Jumper settings MAYBE on top of the drive which may require removal from the system and drive cage(it applicable) to read it.

5 -You don't have to Plug the OLD drive into the NEW drive cable, IF it will reach your driveS.

Then WHEN you are done with transfering the data....

6 - You have to unplug the OLD drive from the NEw Drive cable.

7 - You have to re-jumper your NEW drive back to its original position.

8 - Depending on HOW difficult it is to get at the jumper on the drive, you may have to PULL it out again to change the jumper back.

.... OR

1 - Disconnect the CD-ROM drives from the motherboard level.

2 - PLug in OLD drive (with original cable) into mobo.

When done.... Reverse... No jumpers, no pulling of parts, far less issues.

On my Workbench machine, it has a PCI-IDE controller for temp drives...

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I've done this and it's a real time saver :eek:

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Absolutely!
    And to think,some people actually pay money for disk-to-disk copy programs....

7. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i never knew this...
    thanks for posting it Brite750, im currently on the lookout for a new hdd, and you just saved me a headache or two!!!

8. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your replies, I will try this very soon with my daughters pc. It would make life alot easier.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!