1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can you recommend any utilities that manage files & folders?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Wallenberg, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

Can anyone here recommend a good freeware utility that enables me to generate a list of all the files and folders on my Windows PC? I need to include the amount of space occupied by each folder as well as the number of files included in each folder and sub-folder. I need a utility that will produce this information because ...

I recently purchased two large external HDs (by my standards, I consider "8 TB" to be a large hard drive). I want to organize and store all of the large media files I have accumulated over the years and save them onto these new drives. In order to do a good job of organizing and planning, I need to generate a list of all the folders on my old hard drives together with the amount of space each folder uses as well as the number of files and sub-folders in each.

I know that Windows Explorer can produce a list that includes the space occupied by each folder and subfolder. In addition, I have used two freeware utilities for many years that are close to what I need. They are called "FolderSize and FolderSizes". They are two different utilities despite the high similarity in their names. My problem is that neither of them will do everything I need. So, I'm looking for some new utilities that might come closer and I surely would appreciate if anyone here could tell me the name of some utilities and maybe provide any info that I might find useful?

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16332 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (878 GB Free); E: 1863 GB (423 GB Free); F: 3726 GB (2177 GB Free); G: 3726 GB (2412 GB Free); H: 3726 GB (2412 GB Free); I: 7452 GB (2412 GB Free); J: 7452 GB (2818 GB Free);

Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DQ77MK
    Antivirus: None

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I use TreeSize free ... I think it does what you want

Attached Files:

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  4. Wallenberg

In an amazing co-incidence I just downloaded TreeSize Free yesterday and you are correct. It does just about everything I need.

I just wish it would show more than one drive at a time. All the other utils let me open multiple drives at once so I can compare a folder on one drive to another folder on a different drive.

But that is not a big problem since it allows me to open multiple instances and I can compare folders on different drives that way. I will be very happy to use TreeSize for this one app and I thank you very much.

By the way, I have tried a great number of File Commanders and Disk Managers and the best one by far is an amazing tool called "Free Commander" . It has about ten times more options and more flexibility than any other util. It is the very best freeware utility I have ever experienced. It really "knocked me out". I can't believe that any one person created this utility. If I didn't know better, I would guess that it was written by a large team of developers because it has so many features. I'm still going through all of the features and options and trying them out.

If anyone is looking for an improved File Commander, it does just about everything you can imagine. By the way, I wrote to the User Forum asking about this capability I'm looking for in my original post and it turns out the author has already included that feature in the latest release. I have to learn that I should always try the latest release whenever I don't understand something.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. Wallenberg

Thanks to Johnny-be-Good. I have never tried that utility and I will check it out right now. Thanks very much.

I just examined Karen's Directory Printer. I had almost forgotten about Karen Kenworthy. She used to contribute articles to PC World and has always produced freeware for people that she calls "Karen's Power Tools".

Unfortunately, I need to know the total number of files and folders contained in all the sub-folders under any folder and although Karen's "Directory Printer" shows how many files and folders are contained in each folder, it does not show the total number contained in all the sub-folders under that folder.

But I certainly appreciate your info. It's been years since I last looked at her collection and I have gotten really good use out of several of her other tools. I'll have to go back and take a look at the tools she has produced since then.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  7. Wallenberg

I'm very sorry to hear that she died. She worked for many years producing freeware for the whole world.

Rest in Peace Karen.

On that sad note I will mark this thread Solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice