1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you reinstall windows xp without the cd's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mysislea, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

I have a computer that someone gave me that I can't make use of. It has Windows XP on it, but he said that it needed to have Windows XP reinstalled. The front of the Hard drive says HP Pavilion 544N on it and is came with Windows XP installed. The guy who owned it said that his roommates used it to go on "adult" sites and he thinks it got a virus and crashed. I don't know, but when you turn it on the screen comes up HP Pavilion and it has a triple screen with three mouse pointers. It won't let you log in and doesn't go anywhere. I tried, with online advice: Did the F8 thing on reboot and did "Last Known Good Configuration". That didn't work. I can't get to the start up window not even in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode I tried every option. And nothing will get it to the start-up menu. Enable UGA Mode was the one that made the most progress. I got the screen to be solid instead of split in three. It gave an option of going in to administrator or another choice. On both it said, "Loading your setting" but never went anywhere. I email HP and asked them if they would send me a new disk and gave them all the numbers off the computer. That was like three weeks ago and I haven't even gotten an answer. I just wonder if anyone out there has had the same problem and if so is it really fixable? None of my friends are computer savvy (I am not either) and I haven't been able to find anyone who I could borrow the Windows XP system CD's from. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks a lot all. Lea

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I think your best bet is a phone call to HP.

3. The Hound

The Hound

I know you emailed hp, but try this page to order discs specific to your machine.

4. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

I found out from the website that I can order the reinstall disks (I think that's what they are called) for like $16. Not bad, but does anyone know if it would work? Has anyone had the same thing with their Windows XP crashing and then having a three-way split screen? It also never gets to the start-up menu not even in safe mode. Can you fix it when it is that bad? Thanks all. Lea

5. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

I also wanted to say that I tried to do F 10 for "recovery menu". It will not come up. It just flickers between a blue and black screen, and then when I give up and finally quit pushing the F 10 button, I get the error message: "INF File txt setup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 14. Set-up can't contiue". Does this mean the hard drive is warped? Thanks. Lea

6. The Hound

The Hound

I'd say that it means the recovery partition is unusable...

No guarantee with the recovery discs, but for sixteen bucks it sounds worth a try...

If you can borrow an XP cd to boot from, you might try disabling the AGP440 from the recovery console...the split screen and subsequent crash point to a bad video card or wonky vid driver...This may allow you to boot, but you may find more issues once windows is running (probably will based on what the previous owner says.)

Microsoft KB says:

"Important You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure. If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator. After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled, and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers. 1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
    2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
    5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
    6. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
    7. Press ESC.
    8. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
    9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
    10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
    12. Log on to your computer.
    Windows XP includes default video drivers that make it possible for your monitor to work. However, some features may not work as you expect with these default drivers. Update your motherboard chipset video drivers periodically. To do so, visit your computer manufacturer's Web site, and download the most recent drivers for your video adapter."

7. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. It does seem a bit overwhelming. I will have to digest it for awhile. I don't have any idea what the administrator password is. The guy who gave this computer to me knows even less than I do. Thanks Lea

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice