1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you rescue corrupted .pst files?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Flatface, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

Hello there

My huge .pst file caused my PC to lock up but I have finally managed to restore all functions via a complete reinstallation.

However, having previously saved the huge .pst file on a memory stick, I am now unable to reinstall / import it as it states it is corrupted.

Is there a genius out there who knows if I can get round this?

Also, MS Outlook states that the smaller .pst files that I archived and backed up on to the same memory stick are not .pst files despite their properties stating that they are. As such MS Outlook refuses to import them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

Thank you. I will have a look at these. I have also done a search for any pst recover / repair solutions in case it is the file rather than the memory stick. I shall stumble on and see if I can get a result.

Thanks.

Flatface

4. kenyonswim

kenyonswim

What version of Outlook are we talking about? Outlook 2003? 2007? Outlook express?

Please advise!

5. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

It is Microsoft Outlook 2002. However, the outlook.pst file is not within this programme. Before I reinstalled, I saved it to a memory stick (SanDisk Cruzer Mini 4GB) and also some archived .pst files. Outlook is not recognising the smaller archive pst files as pst files even though their suffix clearly states pst and their properties state that they are email data, and I am totally unable to access, copy, move, etc the main outlook.pst file (admittedly it is 1.97 in size).

I have tried scanpst.exe, PST2GB, PST Compacter and 'recover my files' but to no avail. The file is showing up as corrupted each time.

PST2GB states error message: Error 52. Bad file name or number.

Pst compacter error message states: win 32 Err#1392. EInOutError.

I'm desperate to get this file back as they are work files.

I think the memory stick has a problem because as soon as I plug it in, it starts autorun. Also, the directories I set up for backup purposes now only show loads of directories within them, all named 0000.0000 (can't remember how many 0's!).

I need a miracle!

Thanks

Flatface

6. kenyonswim

kenyonswim

When you copied the .pst file from the thumb drive to the hard drive, did you check the properties of the file?

Do this. Right click on one of the bad .pst files, and select properties.
    At the bottom of the first screen, check to see if the files have a check next "Read only" or "Archive." If so, remove the checks, then try to import the folder back in.

Another option:
    In outlook, go to file - open - Outlook data file - search for the file - select and hit ok.

I've also been successful with opening the .pst file by click and dragging it onto my "mailbox" (not the inbox) but that usually doesn't work as well.

7. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

Thank you Kenyonswim

Sadly, the options you have kindly supplied didn't work. I unchecked 'archive' and tried importing / opening to no avail.

I tried dragging also but that memory stick is holding on tight to its own corruption and that of the oversized outlook file. I have managed to delete the non-corrupted files from the memory to stick to try to free it up but the corrupted directories full of 00000000.000 (yes, I counted them this time) directories seem to be taking up all the space. They won't delete either. Every time I plug the memory stick back in it goes into autorun. I'm running out of ideas...

Thanks for your input.

Flatface

8. kenyonswim

kenyonswim

I think you can stop the autorun by holding down the left shift key when you insert the thumb drive.

OR

cancel the window whenever you insert the drive, and double click on my computer, right click on the thumb drive and select explore.

But that's beside the point.

Were you importing these from teh thumbdrive itself? I would try to copy everything off the thumbdrive and on to the computer first, then check the properties, then try to import. Some memory stick/thumbdrives don't play well with operating systems..

9. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

I have tried copying the files over but the main pst won't move due to its corruption. I have moved the smaller archive files back onto my main system but the import still doesn't recognise them as pst files. I have tried renaming but the same happens.

Thanks
    Flatface

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

It might be your stick. This link, http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict78.htm lists a number of people who had the same problem - it seems there are a lot of bogus sticks out there, that are being sold under various brands but are cheap knock-offs and they don't save properly at all. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

11. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

Thank you Slurpee. Don't worry, I won't shoot the messenger. Bad news seems to be flowing in my general direction quite a bit at present!!

Flatface

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

Sigh - know any wizards?

13. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

Yes, indeed - we are all suffering the 'get what you pay for' syndrome. Shucks. I will at least have a go at the couple of suggestions made.

At least I know the reason for the zero files now.

Thanks again.

Flatface

14. Flatface

Flatface Thread Starter

I missed your last message before my update...busy reading the site you suggested.

If only my answer to 'know any wizards' was in fact 'yes, indeed'. Sadly, I'm all out of wizards!!

Thanks again.

Flatface

15. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Try searching your pc for scanpst.exe. I use this tool to recover PSTs a fair amount of the time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!