1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you reuse Office 2007 product key on returned computer?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by worldcreator, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. worldcreator

worldcreator Thread Starter

Just bought a new computer and prematurely entered my Office 2007 product code on the preinstalled trail version included. Now I plan on returning the computer (long story), does this mean I will now lose 1 of the 3 allowable installs of Office '07? I plan on deleting everything before the return, so maybe that will retain my 3 user licenses?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    No, you should be able to still install in three machines including the replacement one.
    If you have issues, just give Microsoft a call at their 1-800 number and explain what happened and I am sure that they will help you out.

By the way, I have uninstalled Home and Student now on three older machines, and install it on their replacement without a problem. Of course it had been at least 6 months between any of the replacements.

3. worldcreator

That's good news! Now I just have to deal with losing a restocking fee on the computer.

So I assume Microsoft tracks excessive product key use via some type of secret/background online communication?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, but its not secret. It called product activation.

5. worldcreator

I figured that much. I'm just wondering how they keep track of situations like mine, where an activation was made- but later needed to be rescinded.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're basically used up one activation. But you have 2 more. Over time you get it back, or you can simply call Microsoft to explain the situation if its fails to do automatic activation.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice