Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can you roam while strictly on wifi?

987 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
I have a Samsung 9, operating on Android. Seems to happen every time I install security camera app. Over 45 gigs of data generated in only 30 days, which is unprecedented for me as I only average about 3 gigs per month. Thanks.

#4 ·
Thank you for your reply. But, what if you shut down all roaming capabilities on your phone, yet the "Network Operator" section, under the "Mobile Networks" section of the "Connections" menu option of "Settings" keeps changing to "Roam" from my actual carrier's name: Sprint. Each time this happens, my phone gets hot, my battery drains out pretty fast and the "Wireless Data Usage" goes up. I also had to uninstall my Wyze Security Camera as it was operating mysteriously, for example, Event Log video clips disappearing for 15 mins or so and then reappearing, sometimes out of chronological order,, among a host of other suspicious activity. I've already inquired about this with Wyze"s support team as well as with Sprint, to know avail. My phone never functioned this way and I'm seriously considering getting a flip phone instead.

#3 ·
Addition to SpywareDr's 1): the higher the quality, the more data it uses.

To give you a rough estimate, 4K streaming is 5.85GB/hr, HD Video is 2.5GB/hr and SD video is 0.7GB/hr.

So that would be about 18 hours of watching your camera video if they are HD quality if that data was just purely video.

If you have a cap on your data plan, I also suggest to connect to WiFi when at all possible.

#5 ·
Addition to SpywareDr's 1): the higher the quality, the more data it uses.

To give you a rough estimate, 4K streaming is 5.85GB/hr, HD Video is 2.5GB/hr and SD video is 0.7GB/hr.

So that would be about 18 hours of watching your camera video if they are HD quality if that data was just purely video.

If you have a cap on your data plan, I also suggest to connect to WiFi when at all possible.
Thank you. I only average about 2 to 3 gigs per month of data. 45 gigs is a ridiculous amount of data for me. Also, I've shut down all roaming capabilities on my phone and only use wifi because of this problem, yet the Network Operator section under the Mobile Networks section keeps fluctuating from my carrier's name (Sprint) to "Roam" and each time this happens, my phone gets hot, battery drains and wireless data usage goes up. I've never had this issue before in the 13 or so months I've had this phone. When I look at the Wireless Data Usage history, it shows the data spikes beginning in June of this year. Very strange.

#8 ·
Not particularly, but it does show the usage amounts per application, listed below the wireless data usage chart. Chrome, Wyze, and I believe what looks to be an Android utility app called "Removed Apps and Users" are in the 10 & 20 gig ranges. Also, it seems they are bumped off the network every time I turn on the airplane mode.

#7 ·
  1. Slide your finger down the display starting from the top edge of your mobile phone.
  2. Press the settings icon.
  3. Press Connections.
  4. Press Mobile networks.
  5. Press Data roaming to activate or deactivate the function.
  6. Press the home icon to end the session and return to the Home screen.

#9 ·
Airplane Mode keeps your device from connecting to cellphone towers, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth ... in order to keep it from interfering with an aircraft's communication systems.

#11 ·
Yes, Amy. That was my first course of action as I do not use it often, anyway. The cameras are still running, however. My battery doesn't drain as much and the phone no longer overheats, yet "Roam" still appears under the Network Operators section of the Mobile Network menu from time to time as all roaming capabilities are completely turned off on my phone. Another odd occurrence that happened just today is that I'm finally able to send pics and screen shots to my contacts in Messenger, whereas before, they would always timeout. I also received a failed download from my sister today via text that she said she never sent. Don't know what this all means, but will continue to learn more, especially during these times. Thanks.

#12 ·
  1. Slide your finger down the display starting from the top edge of your mobile phone.
  2. Press the settings icon.
  3. Press Connections.
  4. Press Mobile networks.
  5. Press Data roaming to activate or deactivate the function.
  6. Press the home icon to end the session and return to the Home screen.
Ok, but as I mentioned before, I've already been down that road. I've shut down all roaming capabilities on my phone and only use wifi. Also, I was told that activating Airplane mode makes me invisible to a hacker who has breached my WiFi network. Appreciate your help!

#13 ·
Note: If you're trying to hide, since the GPS receiver in your phone is a receive only radio, it is typically still turned on during airplane mode ... meaning someone can still locate you via GPS. Solution: Turn it off ... and leave it that way.

#14 ·
I never keep it on, only when in use. I don't even keep my travel history. This has been happening to me since June, so I have been taking precautions the best way I know how, ever since. Do you know of any good anti-spy software you could recommend? I believe they may be intercepting my network to get to my voicemail messages, text messages and my Wyze security camera software. I have since uninstalled my wyze camera software. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.