1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can you run msconfig in xp?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trichard, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trichard

trichard Thread Starter

Can this command be used in xp I keep getting a error or is there something else that I can use to shut down things in the taskbar? Thanks for the help.

Trevor

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Msconfig is still there in XP for diagnostic purposes.

Startup Control Panel allows you to uncheck startup programs for testing and then check them again one at a time:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

3. kwill

kwill

What error are you getting?

4. trichard

trichard Thread Starter

cannot find file make sure path & file name are correct & that all required libraries are correct. I'm just typing msconfig & hitting enter on other systems this would work. Do I need a path?

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Maybe the path to the file is not in your environmental varialbe path. Just do a search for it and double click on it. It is somewhere is c:\windows.

6. trichard

trichard Thread Starter

just searched my computer & it doesn't find msconfig?

7. kwill

kwill

no you dont - you may have to extract the file from the CD again.
    1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
    2. Check "Extract one File"
    3. Enter msconfig.exe and click on "Start"
    4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WINXP [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
    5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

Once youve done this, if it still doesnt work, download HijackThis from HijackThis and post a log on here (Click Scan, Save Log and save as a .txt file, then copy and paste into the post)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

In XP, insert your setup CD. Click Exit if it autoruns.

Go to Start > Run, and type:

expand D:\i386\msconfig.ex_ C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\msconfig.exe

(where C: is your system drive, D: is your CD-ROM, and "Windows" is your installation directory).

There should be a copy in the dllcache, too. If not:

expand D:\i386\msconfig.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\msconfig.exe

If there is one already in the dllcache, copy it to the Help Center binaries folder.

9. trichard

trichard Thread Starter

Ok, I've used Elvandil's utility to get rid of the program in the system tray.

thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice