can you run msconfig in xp?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

trichard

Can this command be used in xp I keep getting a error or is there something else that I can use to shut down things in the taskbar? Thanks for the help.

Trevor

trichard

cannot find file make sure path & file name are correct & that all required libraries are correct. I'm just typing msconfig & hitting enter on other systems this would work. Do I need a path?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Maybe the path to the file is not in your environmental varialbe path. Just do a search for it and double click on it. It is somewhere is c:\windows.

no you dont - you may have to extract the file from the CD again.
1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter msconfig.exe and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WINXP [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

Once youve done this, if it still doesnt work, download HijackThis from HijackThis and post a log on here (Click Scan, Save Log and save as a .txt file, then copy and paste into the post)

In XP, insert your setup CD. Click Exit if it autoruns.

Go to Start > Run, and type:

expand D:\i386\msconfig.ex_ C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\msconfig.exe

(where C: is your system drive, D: is your CD-ROM, and "Windows" is your installation directory).

There should be a copy in the dllcache, too. If not:

expand D:\i386\msconfig.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\msconfig.exe

If there is one already in the dllcache, copy it to the Help Center binaries folder.

trichard

Ok, I've used Elvandil's utility to get rid of the program in the system tray.

thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online