Can you solve my CD playback mystery?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RickO'Shay

I am using XP home on my Compaq SR1710. My problem is with playback of CD's made on my computer. I can play any commercial CD but not those which I burned on this machine. I can take any of the "homemade" CDs and play them on my home system, or in my car, but NOT on the computer. I used to be able to play them on this computer but at some point, for some reason I cannot now. HELP PLEASE!!:confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suspect that the CD drive is either dirty or dying. The fact that you can play commercial CD's and still burn CD's eliminates most of the software issues that you could be running into.

RickO'Shay

It seems to me if I can play ANY CD at all, it is NOT a dirty or dying player. First of all It is less than 6months old and used seldom (maybe 4 hours or so). I suspect a setting somewhere, but I haven't a clue as to what to look for or where to look.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, that's certainly not true. The reflectivity of factory pressed CD's is significantly better than burned CD's, which is why many players have issues with burned CD's.

It is possible that you changed brands of CD-R media and the new brand doesn't work with your drive. However, I really doubt you'll find a software setting that will change this behavior.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Same brand of media? If so, I'm still thinking the drive. However, you can see what others think too. :)

MysticEyes

Banned
I suspect a setting somewhere, but I haven't a clue as to what to look for or where to look.
No secret settings. Try this, in Device Manager find your burner, right click and choose 'uninstall', then reboot.

RickO'Shay

It doesn't have a repair option and if I uninstall I can see how I could quit worrying about the problem but be out of CD capabilities, right???? If you are just joking, even at 70 I can take a joke.

MysticEyes

Banned
RickO'Shay said:
It doesn't have a repair option and if I uninstall I can see how I could quit worrying about the problem but be out of CD capabilities, right???? If you are just joking, even at 70 I can take a joke.
Do I look like I'm joking?

When you reboot, Windows will re-install it and hopefully fix your problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online