1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you stop a computer from hogging the internet connection on a small home network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sharker, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Can you stop a computer from hogging the Internet connection on a small home network? This must be a very common network problem. (Of course if there is only one computer accessing the net at the time there is no reason that it shouldn’t use all the bandwidth.)

Any suggestions?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Sounds like someone is using P2P software on the network, it is the only software that I know if that will hog bandwidth.

If you are using a router, most have a configuration page that can limit bandwidth per user, consult your router user manual.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's the exact make/model of your modem and router?

4. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

No, it’s not P2P software, it just a mixture of a slow internet connection and a lot of downloads.

I have a D-Link ADSL Router. Model: DSL-504T / UK. I had a look in its setup and I didn’t see anything that looked promising but due to the networking jargon I wasn’t sure and the manual wasn’t much help.

However I don’t want to limit a computers bandwidth when there’s no other traffic. I just want to stop a computer hogging the bandwidth if there are several computers using the net at the same time.

Any ideas?

5. JohnWill

If it has no QoS settings, it may not be possible. Most SOHO routers have limited bandwidth management capability.

6. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi JohnWill,

Okay, so it looks like it will have to wait until I get a new router. But just to check, what facility should I be looking for? I don’t want to limit a computers bandwidth when there’s no other traffic. I just want to stop a computer hogging the bandwidth if there are several computers using the net at the same time. What is this called? Limited bandwidth management capability? QoS management?

Thanks.

7. JohnWill

Well, to really manage it, you'd want bandwidth management. DD-WRT 3rd party firmware offers bandwidth management, maybe you should shop for a router that's compatible with that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895805