Can you tell me about a Linux Distribution that doesn't have the same basic look?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

psam3

It seems they are all either running KDE or Gnome and all have the same basic look. Can you tell me some that don't?

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
Ah yes, window managers vs desktop environments. :)

You can run either KDE or GNOME and use their default window managers or you can use any other window manager that is compliant with that desktop environment.

KDE and GNOME are desktop environments. OpenGEU is a distro that is uses the GNOME desktop environment but the Enlightenment window manager. You can see a list of window managers here. Some can work with KDE or GNOME and some won't integrate well even though you can still possibly run them together.

For years, I ran AfterStep or Enlightenment standalone, without any kind of desktop environment like KDE or GNOME.

Peace...

psam3

I had no idea their were so many Window Managers. Doesn't Ubuntu use metacity?

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
I had no idea their were so many Window Managers. Doesn't Ubuntu use metacity?
I think so. If you go into the Synaptic Package manager in Ubuntu and search on "window manager", you'll see the list of window managers that are in Ubuntu's repositories. Enlightenment is in the Ubuntu repositories as is WindowMaker, I think, and AfterStep.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: OpenGEU has a liveCD you can tryout if you wanna see how Enlightenment and GNOME "play" together. :)

Peace...

It seems they are all either running KDE or Gnome and all have the same basic look. Can you tell me some that don't?
Hi psam3,

There is a thread in the Random forum entitled Show us your desktops (#2) where I posted a link to a number of Linux desktop images on a website here. See post #2803 on page 187 of that thread and visit the link I posted here.

With Compiz Fusion (default) in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, you can have a rotating cube on one of its diagonal corners where each face of the cube represents a different window or workspace - looks very cool IMHO. If that what you mean, its there - with Compiz Fusion! The purple orb launch pad looks very neat also!

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online