1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you tell me about a Linux Distribution that doesn't have the same basic look?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by psam3, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psam3

psam3 Thread Starter

It seems they are all either running KDE or Gnome and all have the same basic look. Can you tell me some that don't?

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Ah yes, window managers vs desktop environments. :)

You can run either KDE or GNOME and use their default window managers or you can use any other window manager that is compliant with that desktop environment.

KDE and GNOME are desktop environments. OpenGEU is a distro that is uses the GNOME desktop environment but the Enlightenment window manager. You can see a list of window managers here. Some can work with KDE or GNOME and some won't integrate well even though you can still possibly run them together.

For years, I ran AfterStep or Enlightenment standalone, without any kind of desktop environment like KDE or GNOME.

Peace...

3. psam3

psam3 Thread Starter

I had no idea their were so many Window Managers. Doesn't Ubuntu use metacity?

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I think so. If you go into the Synaptic Package manager in Ubuntu and search on "window manager", you'll see the list of window managers that are in Ubuntu's repositories. Enlightenment is in the Ubuntu repositories as is WindowMaker, I think, and AfterStep.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: OpenGEU has a liveCD you can tryout if you wanna see how Enlightenment and GNOME "play" together. :)

Peace...

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi psam3,

There is a thread in the Random forum entitled Show us your desktops (#2) where I posted a link to a number of Linux desktop images on a website here. See post #2803 on page 187 of that thread and visit the link I posted here.

With Compiz Fusion (default) in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, you can have a rotating cube on one of its diagonal corners where each face of the cube represents a different window or workspace - looks very cool IMHO. If that what you mean, its there - with Compiz Fusion! The purple orb launch pad looks very neat also!

-- Tom

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Here's another cool Compiz Fusion related web page.

-- Tom

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice