1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can you tell windows which interface to use?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mattig89ch, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattig89ch

mattig89ch Thread Starter

Hidy ho all,

I have an odd question for you all.

I have a virtual machine running pfsense. I was setting up a practice network, to brush up on my server knowledge (man, do I need that).

But I had an idea, to have pfsense handle my personal desktop traffic as well as the virtual network traffic. The only way I can think to let this happen is to create a virtual NIC, and tell windows to route all network traffic through that nic only. Then have pfsense bridge a connection to that virtual NIC, and the physical nic.

The only real obstacle to this, that I can see, is getting windows 8.1 pro to route traffic only through the NIC I define.

My question is, can this even be done?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Possibly...you would need to set the virtual nic's connections to 'bridged', that would place the host and the vm on the same subnet, give the incoming virtual nic a static ip, then if it allows it, create a custom route at the router that sends all traffic to the static ip, you would also create a static route on the host to send all traffic to the virtual nic's static ip address.
    Never tried it myself but it might just work.

3. mattig89ch

ok, trouble is, I don't have access to the router.

I'm on a domain network, and only have access to my local machine.

My current NIC setup is dynamic. I just want windows to send all traffic to a virtual NIC instead. I looked it up, there is a windows program that creates a loopback nic on the local machine. I just need to tell windows to only use that connection.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you do not have access to the router, then how do you connect to it?

Who router are you trying to connect to?

What type of domain network are you connection to?
    What is the domain name?

5. mattig89ch

Through a patch panel in the wall, and jobs businesses router. I don't own it, I can't configure it.

what do you mean what type of domain? And, my paranoia is kicking in, why do you need to know my businesses domain?

6. CleaverX

CleaverX

OK if you are on a network that you do not control I don't see how you are going to get this done.
    Even if you set a static route in windows to go directly to the virtual nic, it might work for outgoing traffic, but not for inbound traffic going to the host machine. Well...you could try to change the DNS settings on the host so that the virtual nic's ip is listed as the default gateway. OK now my head hurts...good luck with this project.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    For one we do not help with Work related hardware, You need to contact your Networking Support for this information.

As for know what the server software is, each server program runs a bit differently, so it helps to know what server software is be used.

Also note, you need to read the Tech Guys rules.

8. mattig89ch

as far as I know, I'm not violating anything. the goal is to get a firewall between me and the network connection, but not break network connectivity or stop the flow of information between this machine and the network.

I still want to log onto the domain, give people access to my machine, and still have access to the network resources.

If anything, I'm adding a bit of security. Because, if I can pull this off, I can show this off to my bosses and show them how I did it. that way, if they like, they can do the exact same thing on the server and and another layer of security to the network as a whole.

Edit: by software, do you mean the os its running

9. mattig89ch

ok, I hope I don't get yelled at for double posting. And this is more for people watching this thread then anything.

it turns out that bridged network connections made by virtual machines get their own ip. I just tested this by giving my nic a static ip no where near the network connections, and the virtual network I had running, didn't loose internet. so, wew!

Now, I have to figure out how to get a virtual NIC to run on windows. The loop back interface didn't seem to do the trick.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice