1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you troubleshoot this series of crashes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soundy, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

I have three "appliance" systems now, all complete systems manufactured within a month of two of each other... and all three are showing the same symptoms. I'm 99.99% certain I've narrowed down the problem, I just want to see what everyone else here thinks.

All three systems use the same power supply (Antec High Current Gamer 520W) and same motherboard (Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H). From the manufacturer, the two 1TB Seagate SV3.5 HDDs are plugged into two of the four upward-facing SATA2 ports, and the SSD is plugged into the side-facing SATA3 port.

All three systems, within a couple months of being installed, started randomly rebooting, then stopping with a "system not found" error. A soft reboot (CTRL-ALT-DEL) doesn't do any good (same error), and going into the BIOS, the system SSD isn't visible, and the preferred boot disk is changed to one of the internal storage HDDs. A power cycle allows the system to fire right back up, where it will run anywhere from around 8 to 36 hours before crashing again.

On the first system that manifested the problem, I first moved the SSD to the side-facing SATA2 port... no improvement. I tried a new SATA cable... no dice. I swapped in a loaner system and sent the failing one back for warranty repair.

While it was gone, a second site started reporting the same problem. I told them how to work around it (power cycle) until I got the "repaired" first system back, so I could take my loaner to the second site. The second machine is now in for warranty repair.

Within a day of this, the first site called to report their system was doing the same thing again. As far as I could determine, the ONLY thing the manufacturer did was to re-install their image (Windows, software and registration), bench it for a little while, then send it back. So I cloned the system SSD onto one of the storage HDDs, then unplugged the SSD - that system has been running flawlessly since then. On a whim, a couple days ago, I stopped by the site and plugged both storage drives into the side SATA ports - I don't know which got the SATA2 port and which got the SATA3, but suffice to say, it's still running rock-solid.

In the last few days, a third site called to report the same issues. This one is in a town 4 hours away, so remoted in, cloned their SSD system drive onto one of the storage drives, and had the manager on site unplug the SSD. We'll see over the next couple days if this helps...

So to me, this rules out everything except the SSD in the first case... with the second, it remains to be seem how the manufacturer will deal with it. For the third, the next 48 hours will be telling... but I strongly suspect it will remain stable now.

Anyone think of anything I missed?

And has anyone heard anything about a "bad batch" of Kingston KC300 60GB SSDs?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice