Tech Support Guy banner

Can I use my free upgrade to windows 10, then downgrade back, and then upgrade again for free?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can you upgrade for free to windows 10, downgrade back to windows 8.1, and then upgrade again?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  good grief 
#1 ·
Title basically says it all. I used to be using Windows 8.1, and I upgraded for free. After using windows 10 for a week i got a blue screen that said "bad_system_config_info" and restarting does not fix it. It is stuck on the blue screen after restarting. So, i was thinking I could use the option on the blue screen that it gives me to downgrade to previous version, but I would still like to use windows 10. So, if I downgrade, could I then upgrade again for free? (I am still within my 30 days to downgrade) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have any other solution to this blue screen that would allow me to stay on windows 10 and keep all of my files and apps, that would be even better. Thank you! :)

The initial error that came up while I was using my PC like normal:
Atmosphere Azure Crescent Font Aqua

Options ("Continue" and "turn off PC" just take me back to this)
Azure Font Screenshot Electric blue Technology

Options Under "troubleshoot" option that was shown above. (I've tried a system restore, but it does not work. I have no "system image recovery", so doesn't work. Start up repair doesn't work. So, "go back to previous build" is my last resort, which is the reason for my question in the first place. I would like to downgrade then upgrade back to windows 10, but not sure if i can.
Font Gadget Display device Operating system Electric blue

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, you can roll back to 8.1 and reinstall 10. I did it with Windows 7. As long as you still have your Windows Old file from the upgrade you can roll back within one month of installing 10.

Rolling back is very quick (took 10 minutes for me). Be aware that 10 may leave a couple of things a little mucked up (it cause problems with Internet Explorer for me, which is why I ended up reinstalling 10), and they do warn that you may need to reinstall some programmes after the roll back. I didn't, but apparently it happens. You'll still have a year from when you first got 10 to reinstall it, and you'll need to reserve again.

After you've rolled back, you can cancel your upgrade, and hide the Windows 10 update in the meantime, to stop it nagging you. You'll have a few updates to install afterwards, and when you choose to reinstall , there will be more to download and install prior to upgrading again.

#4 ·
Yes, you can roll back to 8.1 and reinstall 10. I did it with Windows 7. As long as you still have your Windows Old file from the upgrade you can roll back within one month of installing 10.

Rolling back is very quick (took 10 minutes for me). Be aware that 10 may leave a couple of things a little mucked up (it cause problems with Internet Explorer for me, which is why I ended up reinstalling 10), and they do warn that you may need to reinstall some programmes after the roll back. I didn't, but apparently it happens. You'll still have a year from when you first got 10 to reinstall it, and you'll need to reserve again.

After you've rolled back, you can cancel your upgrade, and hide the Windows 10 update in the meantime, to stop it nagging you. You'll have a few updates to install afterwards, and when you choose to reinstall , there will be more to download and install prior to upgrading again.
Thanks for the response! I tried rolling back but unfortunately it does not work. A screen pops up saying "we ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build. Try resetting your current build instead" So sadly the only solution might just be to reset my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.