1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can you use AOL on networked computers?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by puterdummy, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puterdummy

puterdummy Thread Starter

I have one computer running xp and one running me. They are sharing disk info and communicating fine, yet I can't figure out why I can't get a Internet connection on the secondary computer (me). The me computer has no modem. And AOL said to simply download the Aol software to the me computer. Well it's still a no go. All the firewalls have been removed and still nothing. HELP!!
    I can't think of any thing else.

2. Sponsor

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

The computer needs a modem to dial into the internet. YOu cant use dialup without a modem.

4. puterdummy

Yes I am aware of that. Main internet access via modem on xp computer. Can't get me computer to recognize internet connection on xp computer.

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

OK so how have you set them up for internet conncetion sharing?

6. puterdummy

Yeah. I also spoke with AOL tech support and they said some times because the software only allows one screen name to be on-line at one time, it may not allow sharing of the connection. Any good ideas now? I am totally at a loss. :confused: Could there be a way around using the aol software on the me computer? Maybe the internet explorer? Or would you just suggest a new provider? By the way thanks!;)

7. Subnet Mask

Subnet Mask

Don't believe that AOL dialup will allow you to configure Internet Connection Sharing to share the AOL dialup adapter. Not 100% sure though. Shame that AOL couldn't give you a straight story.

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Use Internet Explorer to dial in insetad of the AOL browser. I haven't used it in a while but AOL 8.0 has so much junk that comes with it it probably cuts performance.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Better yet, dump that overpriced and sluggish ISP and sign up for real Internet access!

[​IMG]

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Now THAT is a good idea. AOL is slow, expensive, and I heard on TV info about how they plan a certain number of people at a time to be dialing in at one point to a certain number, subtract a percent of that and use a lower number of modems on their end then needed to save money. This is supposedly why there are so many people getting kicked off, im not sure if thats completely true though.

Look for a local ISP. In general nationals charge $20, some locals are under $12. I can't personally vouch for the service but near my house there is a billboard for provide.net access for $9.99/month.

11. puterdummy

Thanks! We have decided to nix the dial up all together and go for dsl. Our local phone company offered $29 for the first three months and $34 there after. They are also sending out a tech guy to make sure that our puters will share the connection! I couldn't take it any more. AOL SUCKS! You guys were a great help! Thanks so much!;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101898