1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Canada Subsidising Terrorists

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by pyritechips, Feb 10, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Read the following 2 articles. It looks like third world terrorists bring their hatred to MY country, recieve government support and money to settle in, hatch a terrorist plot using MY country as a base of operations. Then MY all-caring government pays for their defence, which they delay for 18 years. Not only that, but another of their like set up a multi-million dollar tax fraud. What are the odds that these ba$tards scammed MY country of money to finance their terrorist operations (quote from second article below: Malik is in prison, charged in the 1985 Air India bombing that killed 329 people off the coast of Ireland.)? And now they plea-bargain this....filth!...down to "manslaughter"???
    <hr>
    Guilty plea in Air India case

Last Updated Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:36:44

VANCOUVER - The trial of three men in the 1985 Air India bombing that killed 329 people has taken a dramatic turn. Inderjit Singh Reyat has pleaded guilty on Monday afternoon.

Appearing in B.C. Supreme Court, Reyat entered the guilty plea to 329 charges of manslaughter and one charge of aiding in the construction of a bomb.

He was later sentenced to an additional five years in prison.

The plea raises speculation he might testify against two other men charged in the case.

Reyat was charged along with Ripudaman Singh Malik and Ajaib Singh Bagri with conspiracy and murder in the bombing of Air India Flight 182. The plane exploded off the coast of Ireland in June 1985 en route from Montreal to New Delhi.

Each was charged with 329 counts of murder and conspiracy to murder.

Reyat, a Sikh with Canadian and British citizenship, served 10 years in jail for making a bomb that exploded the same day in Tokyo's Narita airport, killing two baggage handlers.

Malik and Bagri have been in jail since October 2000. Malik is a millionaire businessman from Vancouver. Bagri is a Sikh cleric from Kamloops, B.C.

The trial was expected to be one of the longest and most expensive in Canadian history, possibly taking three years.

Reyat's plea is expected to shorten that time considerably.

Written by CBC News Online staff

<hr>
    Latest GST scam used phoney lumber firms to steal $22 million, police say

Last Updated Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:01:18

VANCOUVER - A CBC News investigation has found another alleged multimillion-dollar scheme to rip off the federal GST system, this time using phoney lumber companies in B.C.

In the biggest GST fraud case to ever get to court, two men were charged with receiving more than $22 million from Ottawa in unearned refunds from the GST system.

Police say Sikhander Singh Bath of Mission, B.C., and Manjit Singh Kanghura of Abbotsford, B.C., received cheques from the federal government every month for three years.

Barb Veltkamp, an assistant with the Crown in the case, said 18 volumes of documents will be entered as evidence. Police say it's a paper trail that links the two men to 20 fictitious lumber companies.

"They're very serious charges: money laundering and fraud charges," said Veltkamp.

The companies – with names such ABC Forestry Products, Classic Forest Products and Unity Forest Products – received GST rebate cheques for millions of dollars in exports sales.

The charges allege those exports never happened. The GST rebate system doesn't require invoices to be filed.

The alleged scam is similar to one that ran in Ontario involving non-existent exports of cars.

It isn't known who actually cashed the GST rebate cheques, but CBC News has learned most of them were deposited at the Khalsa Credit Union, a financial institution run by and for members of B.C.'s Sikh community.

Managers at the credit union wouldn't talk about the case, but sources within the institution said individuals would sometimes walk out with bags stuffed with tens of thousands of dollars.

Ripudiman Singh Malik, the founder and chair of the board of the credit union at the time the government cheques were cashed would not do an interview with CBC News, on the advice of his lawyer.

Malik is in prison, charged in the 1985 Air India bombing that killed 329 people off the coast of Ireland.

The bombing trial is scheduled to begin in the spring. The GST trial won't start for another year.

Phoney companies didn't have business or export permits

The federal auditor general warned Canada Customs and Revenue as early as 1999 to ensure that GST refund cheques are sent out only to legitimate companies.

The auditor general's report cited an example of a company that submitted a GST claim with conflicting numbers. An automated warning system flagged the claim and sent it to Revenue Canada to be checked.

But instead of auditing the claim or passing it along for further investigation, Revenue Canada sent it back into the system with approval for refund cheques.

The report said by the time the company was flagged again as suspicious, the alleged scam had cost taxpayers $20 million.

"We wanted to point out that those pre-payment audits are very important and are essential for ensuring that payment are only made to legitimate claimants," said Jaimie Hood of the auditor general's department.

The auditor general didn't name the companies in this example, but CBC News has determined that they're the same lumber companies named in the case before the B.C. courts.

The legitimacy of the companies claiming the GST refunds could have been checked in a number of ways.

The addresses of supposed wood-processing companies in the case are not located in an industrial park, but in a strip mall. As well, many of the 20 companies claim to have the same address.

None of the companies in the case has a business licence filed with the city, and none of the companies has an export permit for the millions of dollars in sales it's claiming the GST rebates for.

Canada Customs and Revenue said it can't talk about a case that is before the courts, but government sources said the $22 million lost in the alleged fraud is gone.

Revenue Canada doesn't keep track of how much GST fraud is costing taxpayers because the agency files the money as a debt owing, something it hopes to collect eventually, rather than a loss that may never be recovered.

Written by CBC News Online staff

2. GreenIs

GreenIs

It's sick isn't Jim. Canada is going to a bowl of SH because of this bloody government that the majority of Canada voted for - IDIOTS!

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

Can you say liberal? ;)

4. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes, and I can say "Conservative". Our right wing governments have supported open-door immigration policy even more fervently because it makes good economic sense. Can you say "cheap, imported labour"?

Leave your "left-right" political conciousness out of this one, good people, because this policy is official doctrine of ALL Canadian political parties. The Conservative party happens to support it more so. There isn't an ounce of opposition to be found in this emascualated populous because any person even hinting at combatting an over generous immigration policy is instantly branded a racist. Or, as was the case in another recent thread here, "bigot". I'm actually glad that member spouted his blind venom. It illustrates nicely what I said in that thread and here also.

5. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I totally sympathise with you Chips. The US has been defending scum like this for as long as I can remember. If they are US citizens, (or in your case Canadian citizens) then our government have an obligation to treat them under our the protections that we grant our citizens.

The way I see it, if they have invaded my country with the sole intent to commit crime, and to cause me or my coutrymen harm, then they have forfeited any rights under my country's laws and should be treated as an International Criminal.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Jim, my point wasn't addressed at the immigration policy, it was addressed at how law enforcements hands are tied when it comes to both prevention and prosecution of crimes. I can assure you you won't find any conservative looking to enlarge the civil rights of terrorists, immigrants or otherwise. But in any event, it was really more of an back-handed joke, so I really don't want to derail your thread--so carry on.

7. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Point taken. But seeing as how you are a conservative, an American and also in the legal field, how do you think the above situation compares with that in your country? Is there also a "conflict" between the need to "appease" pro-immigration voters and the need to enforce upon the newly arrived peoples the laws of the land?

Canadians take pride on having an orderly, peaceful society. What makes this country great is the fact that it was made up of peoples from all over, mostly Europe, wishing for a new life without hunger, strife and fear. Early immigrants saw how good this country was and gladly took up its ways. They strengthened what was already here. But in recent years we have a new wave of immigrants who boldy land on this soil and immediately demand rights and special priviledges. Instead of escaping conflict, hatred and violence, they now bring it with them, turning a once peaceful land into a battleground for their own selfish causes. Canada's official policy of "Multiculturalism" (admittedly a dream of a Liberal government)freed newly arived people from committing to Canada in a way that was fundamental in creating the country in the first place. We had, to a lesser extent than the US, an unofficial melting pot, where Italians, Ukranians, French, English and others rubbed elbows, called each other names and laughed about it, got into fist fights over a hockey game, but eagerly helped each other out when need be.

But that is lost now. That Canada is gone now. The dream of Multiculturalism has turned sour. I don't even recognize my country any more and that saddens me deeply. The institutions that define this country are being disbanded because they offend a minority of new comers. We are no longer masters of our own house.

8. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Granted I don't know Canadian law but what's left to discuss. He plead guilty to 300+ murders (okay--manslaughter) so sentence him to 15 years per offense to run consecutive. See you in 450 years give or take. Is the judge waiting to see if he has some sort of redeeming value or trait?

9. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    gb: Here's another twist to the story. In Canada a defendant has a right to a government paid defence. Well, it was revealed that one of the defendants had hired members of his own family as legal council and for administrative duties- all to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars! Who says crime doesn't pay?

10. $teve

$teve

i tell you what guys.

can everyone say......IMPORTING VOTES!

Blair has been doing this for 6 years in MY country.

for "asylum seekers" read "benefit seekers"

11. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Same in the United States PC, here they are usually called "public defenders" or something similar. However, they would not get away with hiring relatives.

12. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Update:

This scum was already sentenced to 5 years for a bombing in a Japan airport. He sat in jail for 15 years awaiting trial. Subtract all this from a 25 yr sentence and he gets a sentence of 5 yrs! And this is what is called the largest ever Canadian mass murder!! 329 innocent lives are worth an additional 5 years off his freedom???

Yeah, I'm seeing red!:mad: :mad: :mad:

13. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

PC........From the article it seems that he may be testifying against the other two. The additional five years may be the price of getting his testimony. I won't second guess the prosecutor, I'm not there and I don't know the quality of the evidence against the other two. But, I agree, it still sucks but sometimes you got to give one a little to get a lot on the others.

14. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe

There isn't an ounce of opposition to be found in this emascualated populous because any person even hinting at combatting an over generous immigration policy is instantly branded a racist. Or, as was the case in another recent thread here, "bigot".

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and behaves like a duck, it's a . . . . . duck baby!

One wonders if you spend as much energy praising the many immigrant success stories (that help subsidize many non-immigrant non-success stories) as you do bitching about the criminal element stories.

It is my view and experience that the former vastly outnumber the latter.

Only ignorant people are unable to realize that it is stories about the latter that sell newspapers.

And having retired from 40 years in private business, I know the extent of corruption in the so-called native born Canadian population. Is it any wonder that some immigrants want a piece of the action from all the self-righteous hypocrites?

:cool:

15. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    I said this, which is, if you either will not or cannot understand, is "as much energy praising the many immigrant success stories".

And are you claiming that any critisicm of a person or group not of my own ethnic or cultural background is bigotry? That viewpoint is nothing more than holier-than-thou phoney piousness.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice