1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Canceling Gym Membership.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Mayor Quimby, Apr 9, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby Thread Starter

Ok, I am moving to a new apartment soon which gots its own gym. So, I am planning on canceling my membership. Thing is, i am under contract until 8 more months. Then after my contract is up, these morons want 50 $ to actually cancel my membership.

I am thinking, closing my Bank Account Down, or Getting a new card because its on auto billing under my current debit card which hopefully stops them from taking money off my account.

Has anyone close there account before to cancel gym membership?

BTW, I am current a member of Bally Total Fitness. They want 50 $ to cancel my account even after the contract is up. Does that sound stupid to anyone else or what?

IF anyone else workout at another gym, do they make you do the same thing?

2. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Since you signed the contract you have to go by what it says. I'd rather pay the $50.00 cancelation fee than to continue to pay for something you aren't going to use for 8 more months. I think if you don't pay the cancelation fee and close your credit card account they will take legal action when they aren't getting their fee. $50.00 to end your account after the contract is up makes no sense.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Mayor Quimby,

Look in the yellow pages for free Legal Advice - usually, you can call up a local lawyers guild (or lawyers referral service) to get a few lawyers in your area whom will give a 1 hr free consultation either in person or by phone or possibly email. One time I sent an email to the state attorney general via their website and got a response and had a phone call with them.

Regarding your issue, if you do at least one of these things before you take whatever action you are going to take, you will at least be more well informed as to state law, and whether or not the cancellation fee is legal after the contractual term is up.

Good luck!

-- Tom

4. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby Thread Starter

damn, all this crap to cancel a gym membership. I dont think i am signing up for another gym again.

thanks for the help

5. KeithKman

KeithKman

Do you have the contract you signed when you signed up? You should. If it doesn't mention anything about a $50 cancellation fee, you shouldn't have to pay it. If it does, and you signed the contract, you're out of luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice