1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cancelled during partition resize, partition has disappeared. (Using Partition Magic)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by THFS, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

I have a 250GB drive which I had split into two partitions (F and G). One partition had almost run out of space so I was going to reduce the size of the other and give the free space to this partition.

I set everything up and left it to run, but it was taking longer than I expected and I needed to leave so I cancelled the operation. The size of the G: partition has been reduced and the drive now has 20GB of unallocated space which I was going to give to the F: partition, but it won't let me do this. Whenever I try to do it it simply says an error has occurred. I can't remember the exact message since I don't have access to the computer right now, but I remember the error code being #508.

Also, the G: partition no longer appears in my computer, but I can still browse the drive using the inbuilt browser in Partition Magic.

Since they put a Cancel button on the operation screen I assumed it would be safe to cancel the operation, in that it would undo any changes that had already been made, but apparently it just stops what it's doing and doesn't let you continue from where you stopped. I realise now that I made a mistake, but is there any way to recover the partition (so that I can access it through My Computer as I usually can) and to finish reallocating the unused space on the drive?

Thanks.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Did you make the discs in partition magic? If you did you can boot from them and attempt to recover your partitions. If you didn't you can still make them and try to recover.

Boot from the discs and follow the onscreen prompts. I have done it but not in a long while.

3. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

Thanks, but which discs are you talking about? I haven't created any discs using PM. Hopefully it's a bootable CD, not a floppy, because I don't have a floppy drive.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The ones I made were floppies but the way things are nowdays you can most likely make a CD, if your P.M. is a newer version.

5. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Happy Chappies, I have seen PM do that when the drive had a problem.
    You might obtain this HDDRegenerator program and make a bootable CD or Floppy with it as a trial and give it a run.
    It has an excellent scanner in it and will not affect anything already on the drive or make drive alterations.
    http://www.dposoft.net/
    It may even fix your problem. (It can be rerun)
    qldit.

6. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

Thanks QLD, I know my drive has one bad sector but would this have enough of an effect to actually cause this to happen?

As far as I know the problem is due to some files on G: being moved (physically moved by 20GB, according to the description in PM) but the others still being left in their original position, causing the drive to be "split" into two. I'm not sure if that makes sense or if it is even possible, but that's my theory.

Regardless, I'll give that a try.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice