1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cand D Drive on Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ssk64, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ssk64

ssk64 Thread Starter

A simple question to computer gurus:

My Asus laptop has two drives. OS (C) and Data (D). When I install programs and save files, everything goes to C drive. I am slowly running out of space on C drive. Currently, there is 42 GB out of 279 GB avaliable. D drive has 397 out of 397 GB.
    What makes sense? Installing future programs in D Drive? or moving some files, programs to D drive?
    What are the steps I need to take to do either?

Thank You in advance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8077 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 285810 MB, Free - 43778 MB; D: Total - 407423 MB, Free - 407228 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., K55A
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I am using Norton Internet Security.

2. bbearren

bbearren

You have a few options. You can redirect folders in your users profile. You can create a "Program Files" folder on your D: drive and direct all future program installation there (you'll probably need to choose "custom" when installing a program in order to redirect it).

To move a program to D: drive, you could uninstall it, then reinstall it and direct it to the D: drive during the installation. The main thing will be to pay attention to where things are being saved to/installed, and redirecting them accordingly, but you can preserve free space on your C: drive.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

ssk64, you wrote : "..... D drive has 397 out of 397 GB ..... "

From that it would seem that you don't use D: drive for your Data. My advice is always to separate your System and Data by using separate Hard Disks or separate Partitions on the same HDD, for each.

Can you please confirm as to whether the C: and D: that you are referring to are separate physical hard disks or the same physical hard disk divided into two Partitions..?

Therefore, in addition to the options suggested by my colleague, bbearren, you also have the following options: -

1. If C: and D: are separate hard disks then you could move all your data files from C: to D: Depending on how much data you have, that could be significant.

2. If C: and D: are separate partitions on the same hard disk then you could decrease the size of D: and increase the size of C: by the same amount.

T.

4. golddust

golddust

I would use D drive to save your data and C for everything else. You might even want to shrink C and expand D to allow for more storage space.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If these are partitions then I would enlarge the C drive first and then move the My Documents folder to D drive. The first can be done in Disk Management but really a lot easier using a partition manager program like EaseUs:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Rich, could you just clarify your suggestion....

1. If these are partitions and if the two partitions together take up all available disk space would SSK not first have to decrease the size of D: and then increase the size of C: by the same amount that D: was decreased ..?

2. By "My Documents" are you referring to the new term in W8.1 which is simply "Documents"...? Would it not also be advisable to move the Music, Pictures and Video folders in addition to the Documents Folder..? Typically the Documents Folder is one of the smallest folders on most of the systems that I have worked on. Usually it is the Music, Pictures and Video folders that take up most disk space.

T.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes sorry I meant to say Your User but am in the habit still of referring to My Documents as the entire personal folder which includes My Music, My Pictures etc.....as it used to be in XP.

Yes you can only increase the C drive if it is one hard drive with two partitions and you would first decrease the size of D to give you a way to increase the C drive. That is why I suggested the 3rd party program as it has more options than Disk Management in Windows IMHO and is therefore easier to use.

8. ssk64

ssk64 Thread Starter

Thanks to you all for taking your time and trying to help me.
    I did a little bit Internet search about hard drive partitions. I never needed to do this because I always save my files on external drives.
    I use Windows 8.1 with my Asus laptop. I clicked computer management then Disk management. The app showed that there is only Disk 0. (My understanding is that there should be Disk 1 if the second physical drive exists.)
    So, I am assuming one hard drive, 2 partitions.
    What is my best choice? Shrink D drive by 100-200 GB and expand C drive,or move music,picture, video files to D drive?

Is making C drive huge and leaving D drive with few GB space logical? Will this make my laptop slow?

Please remember I am just an average computer user if these questions sound silly.

Thanks again.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes sounds like 1 drive so decrease drive D and then increase Drive C. No that will not slow down the laptop.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably not. I prefer to have a separate Data partition, but not everyone does. The way I interpret your posts you have never used a separate partition and have no desire to start (at least not yet). If I read you correctly then delete the empty partition and add all the newly unallocated space to the "C" partition.

11. ssk64

ssk64 Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for suggestions.Here's the latest.

I downloaded and installed Easus partition master. After launching the program, I clicked D (data) drive. Then, right-clicked and selected "resize/move partition". I positioned the mouse pointer on the left part handle to shrink D drive.After dropping "D" from 397 to 247 GB, I clicked 'OK". (Reading help file helped a lot.)

Trying the same method on C drive to expand didn't give me the same choices. There was no "resize/move partition".
    Only four choices were available: defragment,check partition, explore partition and view properties.

Then, I clicked "Apply" at the top, and "Yes".
    The program reduced D drive by 150 GB, and created 150 GB unallocated section on the drive.

Well, things got little complicated at this point!

I clicked "C" drive, right-clicked then selected "resize/move partition. I moved the mouse pointer to the right handle of the drive (blue bar). I was unable to extend it!!
    Also, partition size upper arrow is grayed out! At this point, I have no idea what to do.

I increased the D drive back to what it was before.

I tried another partition program "AOMEI". The results were the same. D drive shrinks. but, C drive wont expand at all.

I also thought of merging the partitions. According to both program help files, users should be able to merge d (data) drive into C (system) drive. When I select C drive to merge, the box next to D drive is grayed out. I am unable to click the box.

What is the logical thing to do? Windows 8 disk management is even more complicated.
    I appreciate any help you offer. Thanks.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

You had to apply the first action before you can do the second. Now that there is 150 gb unallocated you should be able to expand the C drive now. You may need to do a few more things. To merge the unallocated partition must be next to the drive you want to merge with. You might have to rename "D" to a letter way out there like H and then create a partition on the unallocated and then name it "D" to get it in the right position to merge.

13. ssk64

ssk64 Thread Starter

Thank You Rich-M;

I guess I am reluctant to go little further and change partition letters and cause a big mess.

I thought of moving "user Folder" from C to D. After doing some search, I learned that Windows 8.1 causes conflicts with future updates upon moving that folder.
    As another experienced person recommended here, I have decided to move music,picture and video files into D partition. That did the trick.

I clicked This PC icon on desktop. I created several folders in D partition. Then, right-clicked music folder, and selected properties.After selecting 'location', I clicked 'move'. I did the same for other folders.

I managed to get rid of 200 GB data from C partition.(y)

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

14. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I appreciate that you have now increased your free space on C.
    However should you need to shrink D and increase C - using Easeus, then the important point to bear in mind is that to increase - extend a partition - even with Easeus the unallocated space gained from shrinking another partition MUST be next to the one you wish to extend.

With Disk Management the unallocated space must be behind the partition you wish to extend - that is to the right of it in the disk management window.
    With Easeus it may be on either side of it.

Therefore on your setup - if D is not next to C, then by shrinking D you cannot extend C
    to achieve that - you would have to shrink D so that the unallocated space was in front of it- eg to the left
    then extend the partition to the left of the unallocated space - etc. UNTIL you have the unallocated space
    to the right of C.

If you have a query a screenshot of your lower disk management windows showing disk0 will assist us to advise you

see mine please. Yours will not look anything like this - as mine is a triple boot with two hard drives and three OS
    If I wished to extend the windows 7 partition with the red arrow using space from the programs partition L with the blue arrow I would shrink the programs partition with Easeus so that free space was to the left of it.
    I would then extend the K partition and again shrink that so that the free space was to the left of it and so on with J - to then finally extend the windows 7 - I partition.

Windows 8 has its own disk management extend volume wizard, but it is not as flexible as Easeus

Attached Files:

15. ssk64

ssk64 Thread Starter

hi Macboatmaster;

Thanks for taking your time and trying to help.
    It wasn't hard at all to shrink D partition with Easeus. The unallocated space was left of D partition. The problem to me was that I simply couldn't increase C partition (move this newly created unallocated space into C).
    I guess I needed step by step instructions to do that.

I messed up enough operating software with Windows 95 and XP in the past.

I also don't understand why I couldn't merge D into C. Easeus program shows it is doable. But, the box to click next to D is grayed out.

Thanks for the time u spent on this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice