1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannon camera, buy or not to buy??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by 2000wolf, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2000wolf

2000wolf Banned Thread Starter

i am gonna have a short cruise with my bf. wanna capture every unforgottable moments when travel. so, a decent camera is essential. actually i already own an Olympus FE-4020 14MP 4x Zoom Digital Camera. but i don't think it is qualified enough. i've searched a lot on line and found this Canon T1i 15MP DSLR . it has lots of favorable reviews, i have to say. kinda love it. but i am not sure it is really a good buy. quality? price? plz give me some suggestions. tks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have to say, I am biased towards Canon, having had quite a few of them, that's a standard kit DSLR combo

How long before you go on the cruise ?

I like Steves digicams reviews and found them very useful in the past
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/came...r/canon-eos-digital-rebel-t1i-slr-review.html
    have a read of the summary and look at the sample images

The difference between your olympus and the canon is quite a lot, in terms of compact - this will be a lot to carry around and changing lenses etc

I would go into a shop and play around with it - see if you can take some sample images

What is it you dont like about the olympus and what would you like to do with the canon you dont think you can do with the olympus..

the spec I compared for the olympus is here http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1490&page=specs

3. antimoth

antimoth

Given that the two lenses plus camera body normally cost around $900, it is a good deal if you qualify for the rebate, actually get the rebate, and want a Canon DLSR. (Who cares about the printer.) BTW, if you go this route, you want both of the lenses to be IS (image stabilized). Certainly, for the best image quality, and ability to shoot in poor light, it's hard to beat a DSLR and the Canon T1I is a good one.

Going from an FE4020 to any DSLR is a big change. Better photo capability, but a lot less portable. Here's an alternative if you want to take a smaller step.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

There's really no reason to have IS. Many high-end photographers feel that it just gets in their way, and is left off most of the time. There's nothing more special about IS that you can't do by simply learning how to control your breathing. If you need to stabilize, consider a monopod or tripod. IS/VR/OS is just pissing away money. It's only a 1-stop advantage at best. A monopod can give you 2-3 stops.

Canon Rebel cameras have historically been very low-cost, and thus very flimsy. Compare it against a 40D or 50D, or even a Nikon of similar price range. Of the last 20 cameras I've seen broken, probably 18 of them were various Rebels, after only 1-2 years of casual use.

You'll also need little girl hands to operate the compact entry-level dSLRs. Being female, you might be fine. Men tend to hate the bodies after a year or so of regular use. Smaller Asians are clearly the models used for these things, and not people in N.A. or Europe.

Don't buy one without at least picking it up in the story first. But sure, buy online after you find the best price. Shopping online can save $$$ vs Best Buy or a local shop.

AND FROM A RELIABLE STORE!!!!!! I suggest Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Calumet or Ritz/Wolf. Don't be foolish and buy a camera from some no-name NY/NJ camera company that advertises low prices. If Amazon or B&H is more expensive, then you're going to get scammed at whatever other place has the supposedly better price. You've been warned!

And may I be the first to say WELCOME TO PHOTOGRAPHY. By dropping the P&S and wanting to use real camera, you are graduating to the next level. With a P&S, you were taking picture. Now you're wanting to take photos. Kudos to you.

Hope this all helps. Good luck! :)

5. wilson44512

wilson44512

maybe a good point and shoot camera would work better for ya? a lot of the pictures you want to get would be with both of you in the shot. and it would be easier to use a P&S

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice