1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannon MF3240 scanner with Axis print server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ecomike, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

I am using 32 bit Vista, and a Cannon MF3240, with an Axis print server. Printing works fine.

I can scan if I by pass the AXIS print server and connect directly to the MF3240 with a USB cable using a windows 7, 64 bit laptop. I think I can do the same with the Vista 32 bit, I think I did years ago but I forget. What I need is a solution to allow me to scan through the Axis print server so that I can remote scan through the net work. But I can not seem to get the laptop scanner software packages I have, or even the axis or cannon software to find the Cannon scanner. It finds it as a printer, but not as a scanner.

I am hoping to find something that can make it work through the network for scanning. Looking for some ideas.

2. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

3. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

4. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  6. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried that several times. Been trying to find a solution to this off and on for 2-3 years and tried that every time, drivers are updated for the latpops (one is Vista 32 bit, the other windows 7, 64 bit), the router, the Axis server and the MF-3240. Both laptops can print through the network, but neither can find the scanner unless connected directly to the MF-3240 directly with a USB cable.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    do you know the ip address or the host name of the printer?

8. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

Yes, I know both. I tried using the printer IP address and assigned that address for the scan, and got the same error message.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The only thing I can suggest at this point is to contact Canon. I used to work for a company that did Canon copiers and never had an issue like this. Perhaps the Canon printer doesn't have the firmware that allows network scanning? (Canon copiers needed that)

10. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

I will check, But IIRC, Cannon either dropped support for this printer or claimed it could not be done with the AXIS 1650, but I have since found posts from people that got it work with this printer and server combo. I have tried what they did to get theirs to work (some I was missing). Axis no longer supports the 1650, so I am hunting for ideas.

11. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Have you tried page 54 of your manual? You cannot find the device via that table? I had a brother network AIO and my scanner and printer had sep. IP's

12. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

If you mean pg 54 of the Axis 1650 manual, yes I have. The scanner is never detected on the network, I have tried manually putting the device in scanner mode, and tried just guessing and assigning an IP address in that table, non of these attempts find the scanner. Put the printer works flawlessly. Real head scratcher. I even tried restarting the Cannon, the axis and laptop....

13. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

AIO? All In One?

sep? Separate IPs?

I think I decoded that LOL.

14. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    All In One and sep.=separate

15. Ecomike

Ecomike Thread Starter

Anymore ideas out there? I am wondering if it might be a setting in my router blocking something? I bought a Silex SX-5000U2 off ebay to try, it is a USB server, but I don't high hopes for it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice