1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannon Photostich will not launch

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by murray654, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. murray654

murray654 Thread Starter

Hi

Cannon Photostitch 3.1 will not launch. I receive this error:

Tried re-installing, but did not work. The installer reports that it is upgrading from an earlier version, but I do not have an earlier version on the system.

Tried to google for the problem, but drew a blank. Also searched my hard drive for the file, but only found files in the Internet Cache to do with my googling.

Any ideas?

Regards,

2. deepdiver01

deepdiver01

3. murray654

murray654 Thread Starter

Hi

I read that page:
    Actually all 50 references to the file report it as "safe" I will try to copy the file from another PC where I managed to join the 2 photos with photostitch

Cheers,

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

5. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Noyb that little app is actually better than Canon's Photostitch. While TSG was down yesterday I actually went and took some shots and tried both programs. The freeware app did a much better job of equalizing the brightness and turned out a better end result.
    Here are the differences. The first pic was done using Canon's app and the second one was done using the freeware app.
    The difference is obvious so I'll be using the free one in the future.
    7 pic's make up this panorama btw.

Attached Files:

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If I'm right ... the Canon version requires some manual manipulation ...
    Whereas ... the freebe Autostitch is fully automatic ...
    ??? Right ???

I also use Autostich instead of Adobe Photoshop's version.
    Maybe Canon's not worth fixin ... but having something that's broke would drive me crazy.

7. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    You are correct. Autostitch is automatic if you enable that feature.

A problem would / does drive me nuts as well. After I viewed the examples I determined Canon's program isn't for me except for... I makes for a much larger end result file size so I assume the quality would be retained better. I haven't pursued that aspect yet so I don't have an answer.

8. murray654

murray654 Thread Starter

Hi

Copying the missing dlls & files from the other computer worked.

I only needed the stitching capability to stitch together 2 scans of an image which did not fit on the scanner. Cannon Photostitch worked fine.

Looked at the page http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html and am not impressed. In their example the hiker standing on a rock turns into a red smudge. Maybe that is because they are stitching 57 photos together. In my opinion it would be better to zoom out and take fewer shots, and you would not have to stitch so many pics together. I reckon you would get much better results.

Cheers,

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Glad you got it fixed.

Originally - I wasn't impressed with Autostitch either, and your right about zooming out.
    I also saw the hiker smudge.
    But, You need to look closer at Autostitch's ... Edit > Options. (I almost missed this)
    The default output size and jpeg quality may not be good enough for most of our applications .... (less than 57 photos )

10. murray654

murray654 Thread Starter

On second thoughts, the autostitch results are impressive. Re-examining the smudge - > if you look again: the hiker is sitting down. Obviously he moved position while the photographer was busy.

The results are pretty impressive if you click on the photo to enlarge it... I think I might be installing autostitch.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Glad you like Photostitch now.
    But - I'm thinking that your original application was more along the lines of making a collage instead of trying to merge two, or more, photos.

Don't know if you want to try something else ... but for this application -
    I would have used the Freeware Image Viewer/Editor "Irfanview" ....
    http://www.irfanview.com/ ... and told it to just assemble the two pages into one.
    Irfanview calls it "Create Panorama" ... but it's actually just assembling the images together.
    Irfanview also make a very good replacement for Windows Image n Fax viewer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/424265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice