1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannon printer prints blanks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Riverglen, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I have a friend that has a fairly new looking Cannon printer (not sure of the model). A couple of months ago, she asked for help because the printer was ejecting blank pages. The number of pages was correct for the document being printed, but nothing was being printed on them. The same result happened when attempting to copy a document from the scanner bed.

I had a look at it, and was unable to find any obvious cause. But then I tried printing a simple ascii text document, and noticed that some of the text did in fact show up VERY faintly. I ran the printer's head cleaning function, and lo and behold, normal printing was restored.

End of story, right? Except that the problem seems to occur without any warning. No dimly printed pages, ink cartridges are not empty. And not a lot of time since the last occurrence. I'm unsure of how much the thing gets, and whether it gets shut off when she doesn't intend to use it.

From the symptoms, it apparently is a problem with the printer itself. Doesn't seem likely that it would need head cleaning once a month, unless it gets left on continuously and the heads dry out because they aren't getting parked regularly.

Has anybody run into this or something similar? I haven't had a chance to take a first hand look at the problem. I'm hesitant to recommend scrapping what looks like a nearly new printer without a better understanding of what's going on.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

On all the printers I know the heads do park, once the printer finishes the printing cycle.
    If you power the printer OFF
    then on each restart it will automatically go through the cleaning process
    INK naturally gradually dries out and depending on the age of the cartridges this may well be the problem

That all said you have yourself provided the answer
    So if you cannot get to take this second first hand look then I suggest you tell your friend to the same as you did
    and see if printing is restored.

Without the details of the printer by way of exact model further advice is well nigh impossible - however as I said generally printer should be left on and if cartridges are beyond their use date you can expect such problems

3. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Well, I'll try to walk her through another head cleaning exercise via a remote TeamViewer session. If that works, it solves the immediate problem. Otherwise, I'm in for a trip across town. Don't really know how often she uses the printer, but I do believe that she powers it down when it isn't in use.

It seems to me though that you shouldn't have to do a head cleaning every month or so. I had a Cannon printer myself for a time, and don't remember doing more than one cleaning over the span of several years. And it seems odd that the thing goes from working fine to totally blank without any warning signs, like dim or streaky printing.

Basically, I was hoping someone had seen this particular behavior before. Evidently she had this problem a couple of times before I got in the loop. Her grandson (who lives out of town) fiddled around and got her going once, but she has no idea what he did.

4. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I talked to the owner, and the printer model is PIXMA MX922. With that information, I googled on the specific model and got a lot of hits for the exact problem she's having. Apparently clogged heads are a common problem with these printers, so the head cleaning procedure is a likely interim fix.

I did ask her about her typical use. She only prints about a single page per week, and does power it down when not in use. The ink tanks are about a couple of months old. So, not a heavy user, but it still seems to me that she shouldn't be repeatedly having this problem. I did learn that this printer has a print head assembly that is separate from the ink tanks, and there are articles on how to clean/reseat/replace them. So, we're probably on track for a fix. It still bothers me though, that she goes from normal printing to no output from any of the four ink tanks, with no warning signs like weird color artifacts, etc.

6. Macboatmaster

The link I sent is for the same printer

7. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Oops. Read your reply but missed the link entirely. Just finished reading the entire thread, and it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Lots of opinions, lots of suggested fixes, lots of frustration. Consensus of opinion seems to be that the thing is basically junk. A little surprising to me since I had a Cannon printer for several years that I was pretty happy with. Only replaced it because it wouldn't print from my wife's iPad, and wasn't wireless. Will try the head cleaning once again, but think she'll be in the market for a new printer. Thanks for running down the link you sent. Sorry I overlooked it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice