1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Access a few Web sites - Router issue?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by k6rim, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k6rim

k6rim Thread Starter

Network includes two PCs and one wireless laptop, all using Windows XP. Router is Linksys WRT54GS with the latest firmware. Access Restrictions is disabled. Everything works fine, EXCEPT cannot access www.qsl.net, which is a ham radio related site. Also, there are a few other sites I know about that won't work. None of the three computers can access www.qsl.net. It's not a DNS issue. I know that qsl.net is working; I can access it with an older (wired) Linksys BEFSR41. Even with the WRT54GS, I can access it through an anonymous web hosting site. Its not an issue with my browser (Internet Explorer); I've tried Firefox and Opera; same result. Not a problem with my hosts file, either. Just tried the latest version of the WRT54GS, and the problem remains. I have contacted Linksys tech support and they could not figure out a solution.

ISP is SBC (DSL). They have no solution, either.

Any brave souls with any ideas?

With thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like your (public) IP address is being blocked by qsl.net. Do you have a static IP from your ISP, or "obtain IP address automatically"?

This theory kinda falls apart if you used your old router in place of the new, and it then had the same IP.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No issue here, that's somewhat of a mystery. I can't imagine what's happening with the router to cause that.

C:\>ping www.qsl.net

Pinging www.qsl.net [63.238.179.50] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 63.238.179.50: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=236
    Reply from 63.238.179.50: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=236
    Reply from 63.238.179.50: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=236
    Reply from 63.238.179.50: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=236

Ping statistics for 63.238.179.50:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 55ms

4. k6rim

k6rim Thread Starter

5. O111111O

O111111O

PATH MTU detection.

Is "block WAN requests" turned on? If it is, turn it off.

6. k6rim

k6rim Thread Starter

It's normally "on;" however, even when it's "off," the problem persists.

7. O111111O

O111111O

Hrm,

So you say it works through anonymous proxy?

Traceroute to it from your system, provide traceroute.

From command line:

"tracert www.qsl.net"

Please paste.

HTTP telnet test

From command line:

"telnet www.qsl.net 80"

If it connects;

"GET /index.html HTTP/1.0"

Paste output.

----

What other sites don't work?

8. k6rim

k6rim Thread Starter

traceroute: "tracing route to www.qsl.net 63.238.179.50" - request timed out (30 times)

telnet result: "could not open connection to the host on port 80. Connect failed."

I tried something else, and the result really baffles me, and makes me wonder if the router is causing the problem: I connected my laptop directly to the modem, completely bypassing the router. I figured I would be able to connect to qsl.net. But qsl.net would not connect. Strangely, however, I can connect to qsl.net through the old Linksys BEFSR41 wired router.

Another site that doesn't connect is www.monstermoving.com

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ham radios don't like these new fangled radios called "wireless routers"!?

Seriously, but far out--have you ever connected with the new router or just computer (other than the anonymous web hosting site)? Did you do any kind of registration at that site which may have led to it pairing your static IP address with your (old router's) MAC address?

10. k6rim

k6rim Thread Starter

Hmmm...good question! I've never connected with the new router, other than through the anonymous web hosting site. Before encountering this issue, I never tried connecting with just the computer. I recall no registration with the site in the past, but I can try to check.

Interestingly, and it may be a mere coincidence, the first two numbers of the IPs I can't connect to are the same as the first two numbers of my ISP's static IP.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You might try setting the WAN (or Internet) MAC address of your new router to the WAN MAC address of the old router.

12. O111111O

O111111O

Are you able to connect to anything with your laptop directly connected to your DSL device?

What type of DSl device is it? (Westel, Alcatel, Cisco, etc.) Curious if it's a router or a bridge.

Do you have DHCP assigned IP from provider? As others have mentioned, try making your Linksys's WAN MAC address the MAC address of your previous Linksys router.

Can you also please verify your source IP by hitting a www.whatismyip.com from the following sources:

1] New Linksys router
    2] Old Linksys router
    3] Laptop directly connected.

I'm curious to see if the DHCP pool/lease handed out by SBC is per-VRF. What may be happening is that your old device is leased a different address than your new device (from a different subnet.) There's a slight possibility that one of SBC's CIDR's is still grade-dampened. Qwest was having issues this weekend.

If you want, PM me the source IP's (so you don't have to post them.)

13. k6rim

k6rim Thread Starter

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    01111110's last post made me think of something else. Do you have Gateway or DNS server(s) set differently on new and old routers? If so, try using the "old" ones.

15. k6rim

k6rim Thread Starter

The Gateway or DNS server(s) are set the same for the old and new routers. Have used the same ISP for over five years, and their settings haven't changed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice